PDA

View Full Version : More Elbow Capping Trouble

rlandrum
08-28-2008, 06:05 PM
When we got the TR3A it had no capping pieces. We've managed to find every piece, but had to order fiberglass Elbow capping pieces from Moss.

When we fitted them, it appeared that they were too small (too narrow), and so we widened them to fit over the outside of the car and over the inside of the car. They now stand proud of the inside body tub surface.

As luck would have it, a set of steel elbow capping pieces appeared on ebay, and my Father won them. He says that they too are narrow like the original Moss fiberglass pieces.

This tells me that we've made a mistake somewhere. I was hoping that someone could post a picture (or a few of them) of an original elbow capping piece as installed on the car.

I suspect that instead of the capping piece screwing into the steel of the body tub on the inside, that it actually should be screwed into a small piece of wood, which in turn is bolted or screwed to the sheet metal in some way.

Geo Hahn
08-28-2008, 06:40 PM
I roor around for a pic, meanwhile I'll note that once covered (leather) mine went on really tight... but they did go on. I don't see any way you could put these on other than as intended -- but neither can I account for the problem you're having.

Geo Hahn
08-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Of course I meant 'root' around. Here's a few looks, before & after. None are ideal for you but does cause me to be sure you know: the capping doesn't jam onto the body all the way, that is - there is that metal end plate down by the door that the capping fits over and goes on no farther. I do not recall if it would even be possible to try to fit it down over the body more or not but thought I'd mention it.

https://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/elbow1.JPG

https://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/elbow2.JPG

https://www.cybertrails.com/~ahwahnee/Elbow3.JPG

angelfj1
08-28-2008, 07:25 PM
just sent you a pm.

rlandrum
08-29-2008, 10:33 AM
From the photos here and elsewhere, it appears we have it correct. Maybe the body tub is where the fault lies...

Thanks for the photos.

angelfj1
08-30-2008, 03:53 PM
your welcome - and good luck

Mkutz
08-30-2008, 06:42 PM
I covered mine in leather last summer, and I will be installing soon. They came off my car fine and were a snug fit -- as a reference, with the new leather covering on, mine measure about 1 5/16" wide. Good Luck!

CraigLandrum
09-04-2008, 06:21 PM
I suspect that at some point in the past, the body tub in the area of the capping in question was repaired and widened, although it certainly looks stock to me....In any case, I split the fiberglass Moss parts lengthwise on a bandsaw, clamped them on the car in the correct position (part goes over both inside and outside the tub area in question - all photos I've seen confirm this). This left a 1/4 inch gap which I fiberglassed over. Once dried, I removed from the car and added another fiberglass strip on the inside for strength, although the thing was amazingly strong. Sanded on the belt sander and recovered them this past weekend. Will be fitting them back on the car (expect it to be snug since I added two thicknesses of vinyl) this coming weekend.