PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Help

MrBlueSky
06-09-2004, 02:40 AM
Does anyone know of a place that I can send my steering wheel to so I can have it recovered? I have seen some places on the web that sale the leather kits with the lace but they never look as good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for any help...

Henri
06-09-2004, 03:16 AM
I'd imagine your local LBC shop should be able to do it...but it's going to be the same kit that you can put on...I've done my own...and it came out great...good luck... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bugeye58
06-09-2004, 03:57 AM
I've done three of the leather lace on covers, and if you take your time, they turn out looking like a factory job.
And, at about twenty bucks, a lot cheaper than having someone else do it!
Jeff

MrBlueSky
06-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys, I think I'll try that. Did you remove the old leather or did you put the new over the old?
Thanks

Bugeye58
06-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Two of them went on over the existing leather, and the third was over a wood rimmed wheel. The leather of the cover is made to go over the old, and is thin enough that it doesn't appreciably increase the wheel size when installed over the existing stuff.
If I had it to do over, I would have built the wood wheel up a bit before I covered it to get a better fit. The only reason I covered that one, was that I was picking up slivers from the 30 year old Hahn wood rim.
Jeff

MrBlueSky
06-13-2004, 02:19 AM
Ouch!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

aerog
06-13-2004, 10:45 AM
I used a black Wheelskins cover on my MGB but I couldn't find a size that really fit it right (maybe it's just me, I don't know). The wheel originally had one of those thick, cheap vinyl covers with the cooling holes in it - the kind you find at the autoparts stores and gas stations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Anyhow, I left that cover on and put leather over top of it, the result is a thicker wheel with some cushion to it (but not much). I didn't think I'd like it but it really worked out well, fortunately.

Cottontop
06-13-2004, 08:22 PM
MrBlueSky - Among other things, when redoing my big Healey, I had to reduce the diameter of the steering wheel.

I used the stock Healey hub and made a new padded and (JC Whitney) leather covered rim.

Here are a couple of pics.

https://ntahc.org/op/Image32.jpg
https://ntahc.org/op/Dash1.JPG

You probably don't want to reduce your diameter, but if you want to try my method of padding and covering, write me off line and I'll describe exactly what I did.

The padded, but firm, "grip" of the wheel is larger (and more comfortable) than stock and the diameter is 3" smaller than stock (14" vs. 17").

I've got about $50 in the whole thing.

aerog
06-13-2004, 09:28 PM
That's exactly how my wheel came out, really nice feeling too.

MrBlueSky
06-14-2004, 08:41 PM
That looks great!!! JC Whitney, good idea. I'll take that install info, any additional help can't hurt. Thanks