PDA

View Full Version : Racey Pictures

aeronca65t
06-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Hey, not *those* kind of "racey pictures"! (this is a family place).
Anyway, here's a few pictures of my recent event at Pocono Speedway (in Pennsylvania). I am not including the picture showing me spinning out!
Pocono is normally a large NASCAR track, but it can also be "broken up" into three smaller tracks used by club racers, bike racers and even police departments (for high speed training).
The other cars seen are Miatas, a Sports Renault, a Dodge 024 Turbo, and something called a "7/8 Racer" (bike powered, mini-NASCAR style).

A mix of my other Spridget race pictures (some very old) here:

https://npmccabe.tripod.com/spridget.html

https://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Cars/pocono_collage_04.jpg

ThomP
06-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Looks like fun. Lots of fun.

Simon TR4a
06-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Nice! Those Miatas are a pain aren't they? They carry so much speed through the corners, a guy I know sold one and bought a MINI Cooper S (the new supercharged one) and isn't nearly as quick.
Your car leans a bit, do you have slicks or is your suspension set a little softer so its good for wet or dry?
Simon, WOFTAM Racing.

Matthew E. Herd
06-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Yes, Nial, I'd been meaning to ask what your suspension setup was, and how did you fit Kumhos into those rear wheel wells? What size wheel and tire are you using, as I'm curious. Interesting in getting similar ones. Also, any advice on sway bars from anyone who's put them on? I detectice vicious body roll at the autocross I attended sunday and want to keep that to a minimum, but maintain a reasonable level of comfort for the street. The Winners Circle advised a 3/4" bar. Is this the right one, or should I seek a 7/8" bar?

philman
06-09-2004, 09:22 PM
went to an auto cross event last weekend. two of the faster vehicles were a '67 mustang and a '68 roadrunner. neither were street legal anymore, or had stock suspension. no lbc's, two fiats. mostly hondas and toyotas.

aeronca65t
06-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Nice! Those Miatas are a pain aren't they?

You don't know the half of it: they really play rough on the track and our Race Chair often has to yell at them. But they're also a likeable bunch. One Miata cut me off in a ridiculous pass last year that nearly sent me into a fence.....but then after the race he came up and apoligized, and gave me a big hug (the apology would have been enough!). Another Miata made a "rough pass"and banged a different Sprite that I was running in a 4 hour enduro (my buddy was driving at the time). Bent the shock and lower arm and killed our chances of a win (it was Index Of Performance event and we were running first). Our flaggers call the Spec Miatas "Special Ed Miatas". We started a new class this year so they could run in their own races....let them "nerf" against each other. Personally, I hate following them into a turn, because a lot of them stand on the brakes (much better brakes than I have) and I've nearly tapped them as a result. By the way, I don't hate Miatas. My street car is a '00 Miata....but they are the Devil's Spawn on the track!

Your car leans a bit, do you have slicks or is your suspension set a little softer so its good for wet or dry?....

Yes, Nial, I'd been meaning to ask what your suspension setup was, and how did you fit Kumhos into those rear wheel wells? What size wheel and tire are you using.....

It leans a lot!
I'm just a club racer with a mostly stock car that has some low-cost mods.
Car has orignal lever shocks in front but with no shock valves.....I am running add-on Monroe tube-type gas shocks ($17 each plus some home built brackets).
Rear lever shocks have been replaced with tubes also (easy to do....just flip the lower brackets).
I am running a 5/8" modified sway bar in the front (shorter arms to stiffen it). It was free. I would like a 7/8" bar but 3/4" would be OK for the street.
I have a 3/4" rear sway bar but do not have it installed....the car is tail-happy enough as is! I would put it on if I get a biggeer front bar.
All plastic bushings in suspension.
I built a panhard rod using some low-cost rod ends from Summit Racing...works well and cost about $20. MiniMania sells a semi-panhard rod, but I like mine better.
Front springs are stock (the heavier rubber bumper car springs) and have 1.5 coils cut out of them. They're also dropped an inch in the lower arm, with spacers.
Rear leafs have 3 extra stock leaves (held together with hose clamps).
Tires are DOT-legal Kuhmo 175/60-13. These are quasi-street tires that are also vintage-legal. About $85 at Tire Rack (I bought 6 last year, ran 11 events and 3 are still good....I just bought 2 more). I have them shaved to half depth locally by a friend. Hoosiers are better but they are also about $130 each.
For clearance on my '78 chassis, I "radiused" the rear fenders (so they look like a 1973 Midget). I also have 1/8" wheel spacers to keep the Kumhos from rubbing the springs. Stock wheels and lugs. I may switch to Chevy Vega rims and bigger lugs next year.
The car is soft but that's not really bad...Lime Rock and Pocono are pretty rough tracks.
One of my fellow Sprite racers took pickup truck springs and cut them *length wise* (down to a 1-5/8" width) , to use for the rear of his car. The car is so stiff I can't make it move when I sit on the fender. I think he has 500 inch springs in the front. When the car goes through a turn, his front wheel lifts about 3 inchs (like an old Cortina). I would have no filling left in my teeth if I drove that thing (he's 67...maybe he doesn't have any teeth).

philman:

Cool to see a '68 RoadRunner at an autocross....smokey burnouts!

I'm off to a two-day race and enduro at BeaveRun (PA) tonight....gotta go back and load up the truck now.

Simon TR4a
06-11-2004, 02:13 PM
My Triumph leans a bit too, as you say it works out well on rougher tracks.
In my case it's because I use it as a road car mostly. Wish I could do door-to-door racing like you but fuel cells and full cages would make it useless for other things!
Simon.

bobmga62
06-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Tom...

Used to do EMRA myself back in '69.. til I rolled my street MGA coming off the downhill at LRP...

that's why I've now got thirty years of G-Production Spitfires in SCCA to my credit..

Pocono...always kind of a dyno test on the old 1147... must have the throttle cracked open for a good 45 seconds on that long, long, long straight...

Be interested in Emra is it a lot more track time for the money

(ps How do I post pictures???) https://www.spitfireslide.web

aeronca65t
06-17-2004, 12:20 AM
Be interested in Emra is it a lot more track time for the money

Yes. Cheaper than NASA, COM or the SCCA and the fellows always try to squeeze the maximum track-time into each event.

www.emraracing.org (https://www.emraracing.org)