PDA

View Full Version : Things not to do

Basil
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
If David Letterman evenr does a "Top 10 things NOT to do during a tropical storm", the #1 thing would be THIS. (https://www.breitbart.tv/html/156013.html)

tony barnhill
08-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Saw it on the news...he's now in the hospital in critical condition....maybe a runner up for the Darwin Awards?

DrEntropy
08-19-2008, 12:25 PM
As pathetic as I am, that made me laugh... WHAT could have been going thru that fool's brain to motivate him to even TRY a kite ride in those conditions?!?!? Most of the <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">gulls</span></span> are walkin' thru that stuff. Ya'd think he'd kinda wonder over that...

tony barnhill
08-19-2008, 12:59 PM
&amp; he was dragged along the ground for some time before being lifted a second time to smack the wall - could'a let go then!

bugimike
08-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I had to laugh too Doc.! My thoughts exactly Tony...What!! Are you afraid of losing the kite at that point?? DOH!!!! LET GO!!! Definitely a Darwin Award candidate! :crazyeyes:

Tinster
08-19-2008, 03:08 PM
We get those same brainless fools but they fly to the
island specifically to surf monster hurricane breakers.

Sadly, a few usually get chopped up on the reef coral
or wrapped around coconut trees.

I'm happy the folks in FL made our OK.

D

Simon TR4a
08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Not ALL that sad!
Simon.

tomshobby
08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
The sad thing is this fool used a lot of emergency resources during a time when sensible people needed them available.

Silverghost
08-19-2008, 04:01 PM
News report I saw said he was harnessed to the kite and had no way of letting go........

aerog
08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm happy the folks in FL made our OK.

So far - but the storm is only halfway across the state. The rain hasn't even hit here yet (not a drop).

They're forecasting it to finally hit the Atlantic some time tomorrow as a hurricane, then take about a day to go up and cross the state from east to west somewhere between Flagler Beach and St Augustine.

William
08-19-2008, 08:43 PM
News report I saw said he was harnessed to the kite and had no way of letting go........

That's what I always thought-you have to be harnessed to those things, kind of like parasailing.

I thought this would be something like you'd see on <span style="font-style: italic">America's Funniest Home Videos</span>- you know, guy gets knocked over and the wind drags him along the ground for about ten feet till he hits the garden shed at the end of the yard. That was just brutal. Stupid, but brutal.

-Wm.

tony barnhill
08-19-2008, 08:51 PM

That's what I always thought-you have to be harnessed to those things, kind of like parasailing.

I thought this would be something like you'd see on <span style="font-style: italic">America's Funniest Home Videos</span>- you know, guy gets knocked over and the wind drags him along the ground for about ten feet till he hits the garden shed at the end of the yard. That was just brutal. Stupid, but brutal.

-Wm.
No quick disconnect like on some military parachutes?

vping
08-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Not much time to even think about trying to get out of it. After he hits the sand, there is only about 3 seconds till he hits the building.

tony barnhill
08-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Just rewatched the video - he had emergency releases... but, IMO, just not enough training &amp; no control over his emotions! There was plenty of time in that video....any of us with military training in that area (1st, wouldn't be out there!) would have enough training so that it would be automatic to hit the release when we first left the water!

Banjo
08-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Kite surfing is pretty dangerous, even in decent conditions. You are strapped to the kite with a harness. It does have quick release mechanisems, but like was said, I think it all happened too quickly for him to react. Normally these guys are also strapped to a type of surf board, ( he must have lost his just prior to being dragged past the camera) and do some pretty amazing tricks off the waves. They are very popular in the outer banks where I spent enough time watching them to realise I diden't want to try it.
I agree. It's just foolish to try and "ride a storm" There are plenty of people in real need of emergency services for them to be tied up tending to idiots.

GregW
08-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Hitting the sand probably knocked him around so he couldn't grab the releases. By the time he could have, it wouldn't have made any difference. He was pretty high in the air and movin' fast. I can tell you from first hand experience, 3 seconds isn't a long time when you're being tossed around like a rag doll.

tony barnhill
08-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Now, Greg, I agree with that...once he hit the ground, it was 'ride it out' time....he had to release when he first lifted off or never.

DrEntropy
08-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Colonel! You KNOW where th' releases are. Drilled in.

Now, Greg, I agree with that...once he hit the ground, it was 'ride it out' time....he had to release when he first lifted off or never.

:laugh:

Realization you're in a hopeless situation is th' first sign of intelligence... and possible survival. :wink:

tony barnhill
08-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Colonel! You KNOW where th' releases are. Drilled in.

:laugh:

Realization you're in a hopeless situation is th' first sign of intelligence... and possible survival. :wink:
Doc, sitting here on my sofa, I can hit them without thinking!! &amp; its been lots of years since I was in harness....heck, I can still tie a Swiss seat out of a piece of 8' 3/8" rapell rope!

DrEntropy
08-19-2008, 09:56 PM
me too.... And th' blasted "D" rings on an F-4.

:wink:

tony barnhill
08-19-2008, 10:00 PM
...disassemble an M-14 blindfolded....

...build a 2-person snow cave &amp; trap rabbits, make rose hip tea &amp; birch bark stew from snow...

...its training that's so ingrained in you that it becomes part of your reflexes!

Not some 2-hour how to fly a kite from a surfboard training....or 2 hour ground class before you jump!

GregW
08-19-2008, 10:07 PM
....he had to release when he first lifted off or never. So true. Or as touched on earlier, know when the conditions are beyond your capability.

DrEntropy
08-19-2008, 10:11 PM
My "certs" are buried in a drawer someplace but they are likely th' same as what you mention... E&amp;E, water survival, "snake school", that Washington state "winter outing" with ONE bunny... meh heh. It goes deep.

As you say, it becomes part of your "reflexes". Conditioning. I can STILL sleep standing up if the need arises. :wink:

tony barnhill
08-19-2008, 10:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]that Washington state "winter outing" with ONE bunny[/QUOTE]
My "winter outing" was in Alaska at Eilsen Air Force Base followed by northern warfare training at Black Rapids Training Center (rock &amp; glacier climbing, skiing, and river work on the Yukon River).....yep, probably parallel if we could ever sit down face-to-face (you never launched any HALO's over SEA did you?)...Oh, I did E&amp;E at Fort Sill.

DrEntropy
08-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Never had th' privelege of a HALO exit... WHEW!

...but I got to live in "th' woods" now and again with a few SF fellas...

We SHOULD have that face-to-face. My E&amp;E was out of Fairchild (Hiller) AFB.

Tho I have NO idea why/how Washington state in December had *anything* to do with JUNGLE. :wink:

GregW
08-19-2008, 11:05 PM
...a few SF fellas...
<span style="text-decoration: underline">S</span>an <span style="text-decoration: underline">F</span>rancisco fellas? :devilgrin:

DNK
08-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Tho I have NO idea why/how Washington state in December had *anything* to do with JUNGLE. :wink:

I guess you have never tried to get a coffee inna Starbucks at 5th and Pine.

DrEntropy
08-19-2008, 11:11 PM
...a few SF fellas...
<span style="text-decoration: underline">S</span>an <span style="text-decoration: underline">F</span>rancisco fellas? :devilgrin:

Yup, sure. Them's th' ones, Greg.

...and I'll be sure to tell 'em you said so. :smirk:

tony barnhill
08-19-2008, 11:12 PM
...a few SF fellas...
hehehe...you wish!

Spent some time in those jungles with the same fella's, Doc! You ever heard of an SF encampment at a place named Thien Phuoc?

DrEntropy
08-19-2008, 11:12 PM

I guess you have never tried to get a coffee inna Starbucks at 5th and Pine.

Weren't no "Starbuck's" there in '72.

DNK
08-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Actually the cart under the monorail might have started about then.

DrEntropy
08-19-2008, 11:19 PM
...a few SF fellas...
hehehe...you wish!

Spent some time in those jungles with the same fella's, Doc! You ever heard of an SF encampment at a place named Thien Phuoc?

No immediate 'bells' there. My "travels" with your guys were late. We were s'posed to go to MIA crash sites north of th' border and determine the fate of the missing crewmen... got yanked out after only a few days. One team got shot up pretty badly so the whole thing was aborted. Frustrating, still.

A tale for a time with a table to rest our elbows on... :wink:

tony barnhill
08-19-2008, 11:21 PM
[quote=DrEntropy]...a few SF fellas...
hehehe...you wish!

No immediate 'bells' there. My "travels" with your guys were late. We were s'posed to go to MIA crash sites north of th' border and determine the fate of the missing crewmen... got yanked out after only a few days. One team got shot up pretty badly so the whole thing was aborted. Frustrating, still.

A tale for a time with a table to rest our elbows on... :wink:
5-month-long battle...everybody in was taken out either wounded or dead....lots of beer will be needed!

bugimike
08-20-2008, 01:52 AM
You guys are starting to sound too much like some of my close friends. :shocked: :eeek:

1965_MGB
08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Interesting read here. I did a stint in survival school. Nothing better than spending a day or more in the box.

I had to use some of the training while we were out and about, and we ran into some trouble. Lost some guys on that one. It still gives me nightmares, and reminds me that helicopters and 12.7mm rounds do not mix. Also, autorotation was a myth in our case.

On another jaunt, we were attached to JTF Full Accounting. Looking at crash sites and looking for remains. That was a depressing job. We found an F-4 that went down deep in jungle terrain. Found signs that the pilot got out after crashing, but nothing after that. We got to destroy the aircraft since it still had some ordnance hanging under the wings.

PAUL161
08-24-2008, 06:03 AM
Just heard on the news that a surfer was killed surfing in the hurricane. Makes no sense to me! Like the kite guy, these guys are brain dead before they start their little escapade. Now everyone is supposed to feel sorry for them. https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g273/PJ161/A-Icons/remoteImage-2.gif

DrEntropy
08-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Interesting read here. I did a stint in survival school. Nothing better than spending a day or more in the box.

I had to use some of the training while we were out and about, and we ran into some trouble. Lost some guys on that one. It still gives me nightmares, and reminds me that helicopters and 12.7mm rounds do not mix. Also, autorotation was a myth in our case.

On another jaunt, we were attached to JTF Full Accounting. Looking at crash sites and looking for remains. That was a depressing job. We found an F-4 that went down deep in jungle terrain. Found signs that the pilot got out after crashing, but nothing after that. We got to destroy the aircraft since it still had some ordnance hanging under the wings.

When did you go out with JTF, Ron? That's what we were ~supposed~ to be doing, sometime around late '73. Next time I hit Miami we should get together and compare notes. I only recently found out why we were yanked out before we could actually do anything constructive in the way of determining MIA crew status.

1965_MGB
08-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Doc, I was running with them in 90-91. It was an interesting time for sure. It gave me a sense of what my Dad went through when he was there.