PDA

View Full Version : Veeerrry Interesting....

bugimike
08-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Yesterday I ran down to the local Sunoco to fill up some gas cans to fill the mower and have some on hand with the impending weather approaching. I took one 5 gal. can and two 2 gal. cans and filled them up. Total gas pumped...10.032 gals.!!! I feel like reporting this to someone! Who should I call?? I think there is a number posted on the pumps, maybe I should got back and jot it down!!! If they are charging for an extra gallon for every 9 gals. pumped, that could add up to some serious profit, not to mention fraud!!! :madder:

(It's the kind of thing one wouldn't notice pumping into a vehicle, but the cans are a measured quantity!!)

Basil
08-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Call the State Attorney General.

bugimike
08-16-2008, 11:29 AM
Yep! Think I will!!!! (The place just reopened under new management!)

TR6oldtimer
08-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Call these guys...
Bureau of Weights and Measures

https://www.doacs.state.fl.us/standard/weights/contact.html

Banjo
08-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Remember, fuel cans will usually hold a small amount extra over what the rated capacity is on the can. you are supposed to leave an air space for expansion.
Make absolutly sure that the exact measurement is off before calling them in.

Steve
08-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Remember, fuel cans will usually hold a small amount extra over what the rated capacity is on the can. you are supposed to leave an air space for expansion.
Make absolutly sure that the exact measurement is off before calling them in.

Exactly what I was going to say. These cans will hold more than the stated amount.

bugimike
08-16-2008, 11:56 PM
I didn't "top off" the cans, so while there would be some extra, had I done so, still 10+ gals. in three cans purporting to hold 9 gals. seems like a bit much to me!!! I will double-check though before I go off reporting the discrepancy!!

Does anyone know what the weight of a gallon of gasoline is?

Shane
08-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Roughly a third less than it weighed last year... :devilgrin:

I'd report it regardless. That would be too much of a discrepancy for my comfort...

martx-5
08-17-2008, 07:22 AM

There isn't an exact answer to this question. It all depends on temperature, additives, octane ratings etc. One gallon of gasoline can weigh anywhere between 5.8 to 6.5 lbs. Most sources seem to cite 6.25 lbs. as the norm. But your batch may vary from this.

I really think that the containers hold quite a bit more then you may think. I have two one gallon containers that I've been filling over the years, and without really topping them up, I always get 2.2-2.3 gallons in the two of them. That's about 10%+ on each gallon. Just about what you are experiencing.

The only way you're going to know for sure is to actually measure the amount of fuel you bought. Of course, some of it will evaporate as you're doing this, and then there will be the inevitable spillage. :eeek:

swift6
08-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Gas stations are supposed to be inspected a few times a year. A call with your concerns might just move that station up in the line-up so they get a surprise inspection.

I once put 13 gallons into my 11 gallon TR6 tank. I informed the cashier on duty that I thought there was a discrepancy in the fuel pumps and that I would be calling the number on the pump to report it. She took down my info and I got a call from the owner of the gas station the next morning. The weights and standards people were there and they did find a problem. The owner thanked me for finding the problem and was glad it was getting fixed. He didn't want to lose business if people thought he was cheating them. He offered me a free tank of gas but I thought that was too much. He still won't let me pay for coffee though. That's good enough for me. :wink:

bugimike
08-18-2008, 09:24 AM

There isn't an exact answer to this question. It all depends on temperature, additives, octane ratings etc. One gallon of gasoline can weigh anywhere between 5.8 to 6.5 lbs. Most sources seem to cite 6.25 lbs. as the norm. But your batch may vary from this.

I really think that the containers hold quite a bit more then you may think. I have two one gallon containers that I've been filling over the years, and without really topping them up, I always get 2.2-2.3 gallons in the two of them. That's about 10%+ on each gallon. Just about what you are experiencing.

The only way you're going to know for sure is to actually measure the amount of fuel you bought. Of course, some of it will evaporate as you're doing this, and then there will be the inevitable spillage. :eeek:

You know, I was checking out my 5 gal. container (one of those red, plastic ones) and it does look kind-of bulged out, so perhaps I did "squeeze" more than the stated capacity in that one even though it was not filled to the top! I was asking about the weight of a gallon figuring I could weigh it and figure the capacity that way. Using an old fish-scale, it weighed 36lbs. (including the container itself, so at 6.25lbs/gal., I have roughly 5.75 gals in a 5 gal. container! :shocked:

mailbox
08-18-2008, 08:31 PM
I saw a thing on the news several years ago about that very thing. Some unsavory pump owners have figured a way to have the pump over charge people without them knowing UNLESS they keep up with the gallons they pump. When weights and measures people check a pump they have to let the owner know they are being checked. All the owner has to do is throw a switch and it pumps normally.