PDA

View Full Version : Clean Hands

Shane
08-15-2008, 04:13 PM
What do you use to clean your hands after working on your car?

I have Goop and FastOrange, both work well, but I was talking to one of the techs in the warehouse and he said that he got some beige powder from an aircraft mechanic that worked amazingly well. When he went back to get some more, the mechanic said he couldn't locate a supplier anymore.

I tried searching for this in a prior thread, but couldn't find anything...

aerog
08-15-2008, 04:29 PM
We use a goop-like product "gojo" here and at the airport.

A couple of years ago I got a sample of something called micro-feather or something like that - it came in a small tub, and was a green grit compound. The stuff worked great, didn't stink, and didn't leave the kind of residue that fastorange does. Wish I could remember the name of it!

tomshobby
08-15-2008, 04:37 PM
When I was a kid (1950's) my dad kept a pan with gasoline and a paint brush handy when working on his car. It was a common practice then.

PAUL161
08-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Dawn dish washing liquid. Cheap, cuts grease and smells ok. It's so good, we used it when working a river project for emergency's in case of a diesel oil spill. It's amazing how fast it will dissipate the film on the water and it only takes a few drops. This was a very rare event, but sometimes transferring/pumping fuel out to the rig from shore, a few drops would inevitably hit the water. We bought the stuff by the case.

Tinster
08-15-2008, 04:41 PM
I use Doctor Mecanico grease cleaner

jsneddon
08-15-2008, 06:40 PM
When I was a kid (1950's) my dad kept a pan with gasoline and a paint brush handy when working on his car. It was a common practice then.

I'm not following you Tom....

you mean you are NOT supposed to clean your hands with gasoline ???

:devilgrin:

my only problem with gas hand-cleaner is that right now it stings like the dickens on the rope-burn I've got from trying to get this balky Briggs & Stratton to fire up. (today I'm starting to re-think the 1" washer i've been using as the rope-pull for the last 4 or 5 years... my dog actually ate the proper handle... and she ate 2 tires too)

angelfj1
08-15-2008, 06:40 PM
I have been wearing nitrile gloves because my skin is hydrocarbon sensitive, but when I forget I use one of the orange products. which ever one is for sale.

Banjo
08-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Pro tec here. Some of my favorites are:
Dish soap. Like was said above, cuts grease very effectivly, but is not very agressive.
Gojo fast orange is ok, it dries your hands out terrible if you use it regularly.
Borax (or any other washing soda). That's the same as the powdery stuff you mentioned. Works well, and is cheap.
Snap-On makes an excellent hand cleaner but it's tough to find outside of the Snap-On truck.
And my all time favorite is the stuff called "Mean Green" Its a gritty, green paste that goes a long way, very effectivly takes off all kinds of gunk, and dosen't dry out your hands at all. You can find it online. It's pricey, but like I said, it goes a looong way.

mailbox
08-15-2008, 08:13 PM
I have been using Dawn and a scrubing pad. Works real good. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

rlwhitetr3b
08-15-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm been using dish soap and sugar to clean my hands. The dish soap cuts the crud and the sugar gives it some grit.

bugimike
08-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Dawn and a scrub pad work well, as do Comet and Ajax cleanser! Sometimes a quick dip in the parts cleaner (mineral spirits) to loosen stubborn stains before using the Dawn. We always keep a large bottle of Dawn handy on "Miss Lazy" (45' Chris Craft)in case of refueling spills etc. As Paul161 says, it is really effective at dissipating oil-slicks on water FAST!!

DrEntropy
08-15-2008, 10:41 PM
I've used about everything including gasoline... baaad. Mineral spirits in the parts washer most of the time, that works well enough during "work".

Settled for GoJo non-gritty "Original" and a red ScotchBrite pad to clean for real. In combination they get everything but under the nails. That takes an Oral B 40 toothbrush. (Ask our resident dentist :wink: ).

In low humidity times I use "granny grease" liberally an hour after getting home: Vaseline "Intensive Care" is good stuff! :wink:

TR6oldtimer
08-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Boraxo, and it smells nice too.

https://www.boraxo.com/images/boraxo_image_library/hdpowder.gif

bugimike
08-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I used to have a bar of Lava soap handy in the past too. Hmmm, wonder why I quit using it? It worked!!

DrEntropy
08-16-2008, 10:56 AM
I ~still~ keep Lava soap around. I shower with th' stuff. And a box of Boraxo as well. Boraxo is now in a "prettified" green-ish box, tho. 'smits uses it as a "laundry booster" all th' time... remember who she's dealin' with here. :smirk:

tomshobby
08-16-2008, 11:29 AM

I'm not following you Tom....

you mean you are NOT supposed to clean your hands with gasoline ???

:devilgrin:

my only problem with gas hand-cleaner is that right now it stings like the dickens on the rope-burn I've got from trying to get this balky Briggs &amp; Stratton to fire up. (today I'm starting to re-think the 1" washer i've been using as the rope-pull for the last 4 or 5 years... my dog actually ate the proper handle... and she ate 2 tires too)

Hi Jim! :savewave:
Do as I say, not as I do? I have been so exposed to gasoline and all sorts of chemicals over the years that I am sure I give off more pollution than I can take in. I use other things like Dawn too, but I often use gasoline for cleaning parts which is not good either but I do and then since I am in it why not my hands too?

70herald
08-16-2008, 01:40 PM
The single most effective cleaner know to man-kind are the nice clean towels the better half just hung in the bathroom. Guaranteed to remove any dirt you missed with the previous cleaner.

tony barnhill
08-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Head &amp; Shoulders shampoo - while washing your hair...running those greasy fingernails through your hair cleans 'em real good!

DrEntropy
08-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Ummm.... hair....

wuzzat?

tony barnhill
08-16-2008, 02:48 PM
oops, soory, Doc, forgot....

DeltaAir423
08-16-2008, 04:53 PM
The single most effective cleaner know to man-kind are the nice clean towels the better half just hung in the bathroom. Guaranteed to remove any dirt you missed with the previous cleaner.

Also garanteed to make you spend a few nights on the couch!

DeltaAir423
08-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I forgot to add that we use this stuff at work.

https://www.stokoskincare.com/prodclean.htm

We go through countless bottles of the cupran every week.

08-16-2008, 08:39 PM
I have always found that doing a sink full of pots and pans will get my grease-laden fingernails purrty.

TR6oldtimer
08-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Hand kneading dough works well to get out the bits and stains the soap left behind.

Shane
08-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Wow, with TR6Bill doing pots and pans and TR6oldtimer kneading dough...I guess if I get a TR6 as my next project car, I'll be spending a lot of time in the kitchen... :jester:

GregW
08-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Hand kneading dough works well to get out the bits and stains the soap left behind.
Is engine oil low in cholesterol?

bugimike
08-18-2008, 09:05 AM
Hmmm, Blackened Bread?

waltesefalcon
08-18-2008, 09:32 AM
I use Gojos outside if I'm washing or a bar of lava soap inside. I find both work well.

yon_pie_eater
08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
I stumbled across "Reinol S" in Switzerland. It's a beige powder, and is billed as the worlds biggest selling hand cleaner, and could well be the stuff that you're talking about Shane. Nothing comes within a county mile of this stuff...I believe it's some kind of polymer mixed in with wood as an abrasive. It really is in a different league from any of the conventional hand cleaners, and as a plus, I don't smell like I've spent the day in a carbolic factory when the missus greets me!
https://www.reinol.com

Shane
08-19-2008, 03:08 PM
That sounds exactly like what he was describing. Plus the fact that we can't get it here in the US...I'll check EBay...

Why is it that Europe has the coolest cars, the sexiest women, the Autobahn, and now the greatest hand cleaner??? What else???? :jester: :jester:

angelfj1
08-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Why is it that Europe has the coolest cars, the <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">sexiest women</span></span>, the Autobahn, and now the greatest hand cleaner???

You've never visited Brazil, have you??? :devilgrin:

DNK
08-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Personally I think the sexiest woman lives in my house

TR6oldtimer
08-19-2008, 04:40 PM
.... Why is it that Europe has the coolest cars, the sexiest women, the Autobahn, and now the greatest hand cleaner??? What else???? :jester: :jester:

And all that while taking fewer baths or showers. Annual toilet soap consumption in the US was 2 kg per person, in Western Europe it was 0.8 kg, go figure...

DrEntropy
08-19-2008, 10:01 PM
They apparently don't bake enuff bread either...

...remind me to pass if ya show up with any baked goods, Ray. :devilgrin:

DNK
08-19-2008, 11:03 PM
Doc, that reminded me of when I was younger. I used to spend the afternoons working on the Cortina or my friends B's with them And then go to work making pizza. The dough was great for cleaning under the finger nails. By the end of the night my nails were always clean!

bugimike
08-20-2008, 02:05 AM
And all the time the customers thought that was the anchovies!!! :devilgrin:

JamesWilson
08-21-2008, 05:36 AM
I used to have a bar of Lava soap handy in the past too. Hmmm, wonder why I quit using it? It worked!!

I can't get that here... do they still make it? I'll get my daughter to import some the next time she visits.

I use "White Spirit"- a light solvent, and then good ol' laundry soap powder- its nasty viscious stuff, but it works pretty well and cheaply. Then I have to wash it off....

TR6oldtimer
08-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Lava soap was the only soap that would lather in salt water. I loved it when I had a boat in the marine. After working in the bilges, into the water with soap in hand, scrub, scrub, just like a giant bathtub. Probably could not do that this day.