PDA

View Full Version : Gas Station Name Change

PAUL161
07-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Looks like Chavez is changing the Citgo stations name to Petro Express, among other things. Just thought I'd mention that.

Gray_Cat
07-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks, I want to make certain I avoid those stations.

07-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Ah, Citgo. I remember many years ago when Cities Service came up with that name. It was one of the first uses of computers to use random selection of names. They just put a whole lot of garbage into an old mainframe and out popped Citgo. Meant nothing, just sounded good to the powers that be. Sad to see it go. I, too, avoid them unless I am out of gas.

tony barnhill
07-30-2008, 12:33 PM
Doesn't CITGO sponsor the Bassmaster Fishing Tour & the Boston Marathon?

AweMan
07-30-2008, 04:28 PM
All the Citgo`s here are 7-11`s, I NEVER go there anyway. Unless it is after 12:00 Midnight and everything else is either too distant or closed and it`s a dire emergency and even then it`s not for gas. "Other" stations here have either the same price or cheaper anyway. The local police sure do like the ........ ummmmmmmmmm , donughts at 7-11 very late in the evening. I guess it`s the doughnuts anyway *SMILE*

tony barnhill
07-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I thought 7-11 had gone out of the CITGO business back around 2006?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/7-11_Citgo_message.jpg/250px-7-11_Citgo_message.jpg

AweMan
07-30-2008, 06:40 PM
If thats true {and I have no doubt that it is} it just goes to show how long its been sence I either went to a 7-11, or noticed who sold Citgo fuel. *SMILE*
But then often times I have been accused of bieng set in my ways and very stubborn.
If I decide not to buy a product or patronise a vendor for one polliticaly correct {for me} reason or another, thats pretty much set in stone.

tony barnhill
07-30-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm caught in the middle on this one....I don't want to support Venezuala but most of the CITGO filling stations are independently owned by Americans who've been selling that product since before Venezuela bought the company....those little guys are just trying to make ends meet....some of them are going independent but when they do, their sales go down.

Mickey Richaud
07-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm caught in the middle on this one....I don't want to support Venezuala but most of the CITGO filling stations are independently owned by Americans who've been selling that product since before Venezuela bought the company....those little guys are just trying to make ends meet....some of them are going independent but when they do, their sales go down.

And until we figure out this new global economy thing, we're going to be faced with making choices like this. Not as easy as many of us would want it to be...

Shinsen774
07-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Citgo is running radio ads here encouraging people to buy gas there to support their neighbors who work there. The boycott must be hurting them.

tony barnhill
07-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Citgo is running radio ads here encouraging people to buy gas there to support their neighbors who work there. The boycott must be hurting them.
Well, I know the boycott has caused a couple of CITGO stations around here to close...all that did in one instance was cost a good American his home & life savings! Now he's working for another filling station....what good did the boycott do him?

I've never used CITGO as I don't think my cars perform as well with it - 'course its been a long ite since I tried it.

bugimike
07-31-2008, 08:01 AM
On an interesting note, I just bought gas at a Sunoco station that had signs posted on their pumps stating that Sunoco does NOT buy Mid-East gas, and then listed the competitors who do and the amounts they import!! I wonder where most of Sunoco gas comes from? NOT Venezuela I hope!!

DeltaAir423
07-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Most of the drillers and refiners will list maps of where they are drilling and refining oil. I don't know if Sunoco has any drilling operations, and they don't have a map. I found it funny that everyone that I looked up but Citgo listed maps of these locations. FYI if you're interested, the only company that I looked up, that didn't have any drilling or refining operations in Venezuela was Marathon.

ETA again: Where I buy most of my gas, QuikTrip, plainly state that as they are just a retailer, and have no refining or drilling operations, that they have no say in where their gas comes from.

At least they're honest about it.