PDA

View Full Version : Webbing for Soft Top

martx-5
05-31-2004, 01:11 PM
I need to replace...actually install...new webbing on the soft top ribs of my '58 TR-3.

My problem is that there is no old webbing for reference. What I need to know is what are the measurements between each of the ribs and to the back deck where it screws in.

Geo Hahn
05-31-2004, 02:37 PM
Here's a copy of the instructions that came with my top:

https://www.geocities.com/tucson_british_car_register/top-webbing.gif

You may find this to be close but only approximate as their may be some variation in manufacturers.

Many find it is useful to leave that back bow (the one above the window) unattached to make it easier to get the front tenaxes fastened. When erecting the top it also helps to leave the 'knee' joint slightly forward and push it home once everything is in place.

Geo Hahn
05-31-2004, 02:42 PM
Sorry, I forgot that a geocities link is not 'clickable' from here. If you cut and paste the URL into the appropriate line on your browser you should get it okay.

BRIAN TOWNE
05-31-2004, 06:22 PM
You might be able to follow the seams in your soft top. Thats what I did when I installed new top and webbing. Marked them to the seams on the top then shortened up by about 1/4 inch in each section to put some load in the top.

martx-5
06-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks guys...that is exactly the info I was looking for. At least now I know how the ribs have to line up with the seams etc.

MDCanaday
06-02-2004, 09:34 PM
My best advise is to use the seams as a rough guide, but make sure the bows are aranged so as to give good head room ect. test fit with tape, when its "right" put on REAL seat belt webbing.Its stronger, and lasts longer than sin. You will need a small nail and a butane lighter to "snell" the holes for the retaining screws.
Good luck !!
MD(mad dog)