PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon poop...

DrEntropy
07-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Just had what I believe to be a "racing" pigeon land directly in front of the garage door. Door's up and it landed at the entrance, it has a band on the right leg. I couldn't grab it, it's now walking away down the sidewalk... someone has lost a very pretty bird. Wish I coulda snagged it in order to hunt for the owner. :wall:

Mickey Richaud
07-16-2008, 01:16 PM
PiDgeon? Was his name "Walter"? :jester:

DrEntropy
07-16-2008, 01:25 PM
feh. Branefade.

DrEntropy
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Just peckin' away... :shocked:

Silverghost
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Doc, I "found" a banded pigeon here in Chicago several years ago. I was able to trace the band back to a breeder in I think Virginia. This was a very pretty fancy pigeon (YES, there are such things!)His response was "D*mn bird is too stupid to find it's way back, just kill it!" My niece had it from that point on.....

It seems the breeders and racers of these birds treat them as little more than one would treat a screwdriver or socket. It's just a tool to be used and if it breaks, get a new one.

Steve
07-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Pidgeon Pie........mmmmmmmm!

GeeBee1
07-16-2008, 04:07 PM
well his name isn't TomTom :wink:

Doc, are ya trying to get away from working on that piece of German Engineering in the hovel?

DrEntropy
07-16-2008, 04:19 PM
T'ain't here just yet. Still across th' street. We'll be making the "transition" over the coming weekend, methinks.

This bird was obviously "domesticated" as it would allow me to get withing a foot of it before it scooted out of range. If I'd had a bass net in reach it'd be captive now. Red band, usually once they land they don't make "home". I was exposed to these goofy things as a kid, a friend raced 'em. This one could have been some kid's pride and joy as easily as some new brood from a coop owned by an uncaring racer... I'd rather have known which.

Oh well. Squab's not on tonight's menu, Steve. :devilgrin:

TR6oldtimer
07-16-2008, 04:19 PM
To old for squab.

DrEntropy
07-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Good point, Ray. Likely tough as shoe leather after flyin' for days, too. And I don't have a pressure cooker. :wink:

Banjo
07-16-2008, 08:19 PM
It seems the breeders and racers of these birds treat them as little more than one would treat a screwdriver or socket. It's just a tool to be used and if it breaks, get a new one.
Lemme tell ya, if someone finds any of my sockets or screwdrivers, I WANT 'EM BACK! I hate loosing tools. Seems I value my inanemate objects more than those breeders value the living creatures in thier care.
Strike a pose, and stand real still Doc.... Pidgeons can't resist statues... It's like a dog and his hydrant.