PDA

View Full Version : Fold Down Windscreen for Bugeye?

Texas_Cicada
05-27-2004, 12:38 AM
In the Sports Car Color History book "Austin-Healey 100 & 3000" by John Helig, there is a picture (pg. 96) credited to David Gooley of a 3000. In the background, is a Bugeye with a fold-down windscreen... ala the Healey 100. Has anyone come across such a car? Is this part available somewhere or is it a one-off fabrication or prototype?

Bruce Bowker
05-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Never saw such a car and I would guess it was a one-off by the owner. It was not a factory option.

aeronca65t
05-27-2004, 02:05 PM
I saw a picture of that car. It was in the Back of Classic Motorsports magazine.
The car was a one-off by the owner...sort of a junior version of the big AH-100S.
By the way, owners have told me that the fold-down windshield in the big AHs isn't really that useful (but it looks great!).
I'm pretty sure the mini-100S had a fold-down Brooklands Racing Screen, which is available from Moss. The screen can be seen in this picture (#96):

https://www.abingdonsparesllc.com/pg414.jpg

Bruce Bowker
05-27-2004, 03:45 PM
"By the way, owners have told me that the fold-down windshield in the big AHs isn't really that useful (but it looks great!)".

With it down you get a straight blast in the face. But it does look very COOL. I just made a small deflector and will see it it works in a few weeks. I held just one hand up as an experiment once and it did put the air flow over my head. Hopefully I can drive a bit with it down now. Or use a leather helmet and goggles which is either cool or not.

Someone else once mentioned that you get all the hot air from the engine but I bever noticed that at all.

Texas_Cicada
06-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. I saw the mini-100S in the back of Classic Motorsports, but that is not the car I saw in "Austin-Healey: 100 & 300." The mini-100S was cool, and the Brooklands wind screens look neat on a Sprite. The car I see in the picture definitely has a full width folding wind screen. Looking closer, it has a roll bar with a Speedwell logo. Maybe the folding wind screen is a Speedwell fabrication?

As for the comments by the big Healey owners...I wonder where you draw the line between having a car that looks cool and a car that offers practical comfort and convenience. If they want a car that keeps the wind out of their eyes, I would be happy to trade them my Bugeye for one of their less practical or comfortable 100's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Bruce Bowker
06-01-2004, 10:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
big Healey owners...I wonder where you draw the line between having a car that looks cool and a car that offers practical comfort and convenience. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to say that a Healey 100-4 is not that comfortable and not convenient but it is a lot of fun to drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif