PDA

View Full Version : at&t Internet Commercial

tony barnhill
07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Next time you see the commercial where the guy is supposedly on a deserted Pacific island in front of Amelia's plane & he's excited about finding the internet......look in the background in the upper left of the screen.....you can see Diamond Head & Waikiki Beach.....hehehehe

NutmegCT
07-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Yep - a slight OOPS in the proofing department.

But to me, the use of an Electra marked "Amelia" is a bit much. Her plane went down while attempting a round-the-world flight soon in 1937. But then, I wonder if most folks who see the commercial realize that. Gack - when will we start seeing a black limousine passing before a "book depository building" to advertise books ....

Feeling older by the minute ...

T.

aerog
07-10-2008, 10:18 AM
But to me, the use of an Electra marked "Amelia" is a bit much. Her plane went down while attempting a round-the-world flight soon in 1937. But then, I wonder if most folks who see the commercial realize that.

In a world with a generation that can't tell you who fought in WW2...you're probably right.

tony barnhill
07-10-2008, 10:29 AM

But to me, the use of an Electra marked "Amelia" is a bit much. Her plane went down while attempting a round-the-world flight soon in 1937. But then, I wonder if most folks who see the commercial realize that. Gack - when will we start seeing a black limousine passing before a "book depository building" to advertise books ....

T.

Most probably, Tom, the majority of people who see that ad don't even know who Amelia was!

equiprx
07-10-2008, 11:26 AM

T.

Generally speaking it is in very poor taste but that is what advertising thrives on.

NutmegCT
07-10-2008, 11:28 AM
LOL - finally dawned on me. If most folks who see the commercial don't know who Amelia was ... then the commercial itself makes no sense to them.

Or am I missing something else ....?

T.

angelfj1
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
LOL - finally dawned on me. If most folks who see the commercial don't know who Amelia was ... then the commercial itself makes no sense to them.

Or am I missing something else ....?

T.

T:
Yes. You are. Those of us who know the background are almost as old as dirt!

NutmegCT
07-10-2008, 02:01 PM
errr - you mean the *far* background ... as in Diamond Head?

Funny - they go to all that trouble for the airplane mock-up, and it's the landscape that's the "gotcha".

T.

jlaird
07-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Na, it's all done with computers now days. It was done on the beach in Hawaii and the plane added afterwards.

DNK
07-11-2008, 02:56 PM
It came on while watching a ball game and I asked my kids who she was and they all said WHO?

RonMacPherson
07-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey, you ever been on Sand Island at high tide? It can get VERY deserted.... Sand island and/or Magic Island are the two angles where that gig was photoed from...

longbridgehealey
07-15-2008, 09:26 AM
My daughter is 31 years old, grew up in the 70's and 80's, and picked up on the Amelia right away. She actually thought the commercial was in bad taste. I was pretty impressed by that!