PDA

View Full Version : Car trailer wiring

Johnny
05-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Boutht a used trailer to haul my Austin Healey to various shows etc. It came with a controller that is to be mounted in the tow vehicle (A 1997 Jeep Cherokee). There are 4 wires coming out of the controller, red, blue, white, black. I installed a trailer hitch and the associated connector on the jeep. The connector has the usual leads to operate the lights, they all work okay. There are also three extra wires for the brakes, I assume. A red, blue and white wire. I tested the brakes on the trailer by using a spare battery, they work fine. Now the question, how do I connect the controller in the jeep, to the wires on the connector? I have the white wire going to chassis ground both on the connector at the rear of the jeep, and from the connector. I also have the red wire (from the controller)going to the car battery, and back to the trailer connector (red wire). The blue wire from the controller goes to the brake switch and also back to the connectors blue wire. The problem is when I connect to the trailer the brakes lock up. When I remove the red wire, they release.
Very confusing.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Steve
05-24-2004, 12:55 PM
Now I am no expert, so you may need more input, but shouldn't the red wire be connected to the brake lights in the Jeep? It sounds as if this actuates the brakes on the trailer, so you certainly don't want it "live" all the time, just to activate when you hit the brakes in the tow vehicle? Hooking it up to the brake light circuit would do that for you. Doesn't sound right if you connect it directly to the battery.

Dave Russell
05-25-2004, 01:02 AM
A trailer queen?

https://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp
D

Johnny
05-25-2004, 07:26 AM
I keep telling myself, "it's okay to tow, it's okay to tow." Besides, I only plan on towing to long distance shows, such as the one 6/20 in San Antonio Tx. Also, as my significant other says, with a trailer you always have a way home.

I already realized the red wire can't go directly to battery. Thanks though. I did wire the red wire to the brake feed and yes I do have the brakes working when I depress the pedal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif The problem is it brakes too hard. Skids the tires in fact with the slightest touch. The blue wire I'm afraid is the one I have to wire correctly now, assuming of course the controller works.
Thanks for posting.

Dave Russell
05-25-2004, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, as my significant other says, with a trailer you always have a way home.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you have to ride home on the trailer also, or just the car?
D

Cottontop
05-25-2004, 05:21 PM
John... There should be TWO knobs, wheels, or some other adjustable devices on your controller.

One of them will control the STRENGTH of the voltage used to apply the brakes. This adjustment will allow you to fix your locked up tires.

The other adjustment will control the SPEED at which that voltage is applied. The slope of this "ramp rate" will allow you to come to gradual stops with the brakes being applied harder and harder as you slow to a stop.

Most controllers also have an accelerometer inside them. The accelerometer will sense a rapid deceleration (a panic stop) and can override the voltage ramp rate and "slam" on the brakes.

The manufacturer of your controller probably has a web site that will explain the settings and wiring. If not, just "Google" for "trailer brake controllers". The info. is out there.

Tim

PS: Are you going to start trailerling Kimberling City too ?

Bruce Bowker
05-25-2004, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A trailer queen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Healey's are trailer Kings! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave Russell
05-25-2004, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A trailer queen?

[/ QUOTE ]
Healey's are trailer Kings! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems like a lot of them have feminine names. AC/DC?
D

Johnny
05-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks Tim, and you also Dave (The website cleared up a lot of questions). I think I have it wired right, just need to test it now.
No Dave, I ride in the car with my wife. At least for now.