PDA

View Full Version : What was the first car you drove?

gjh2007
05-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Ok, a trip back in time for some of us. What was the first car/truck you actually drove? & rolling down the driveway doesn't count.

I believe it was my dad's '62 Willy's 4X4 utility wagon on Fire Island beach. I don't remember shifting or clutching, but do remeber it wasn't that hard since I just had to keep it in the wheel tracks. First car on the road was my mom's '65 Mustang 289-3 speed they wanted to sell me for $500 in high school with 60,000 miles. I passed for my '68 Malibu, it just wasn't cool driving your mom's old car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

sunbeammadd
05-23-2004, 12:14 AM
The first car I drove was a 1968 Mazda Luce 1500. That was around a field when I was about 13. First one I drove on the road was a 1967 Hillman Gazelle (the Australian version of the Singer Gazelle).

90 XJ-S
05-23-2004, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the first car/truck you actually drove?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first one was a '61 or '62 Volkswagon Microbus. Only drove it once or twice... never did figure out how to take off from a standing start properly, what with the clutch peddle working, more or less, straight up and down. Then I drove my second car, which was a late 50's/ early 60's mercedes sedan with a four speed on the tree! to make things worse, it had an "automatic clutch". This was some kind of electrically controlled/operated clutch... every time you moved the shifter (even the very least) the clutch disengaged.
Believe me, These were both thrills for the novice driver!!

Mike

Graham
05-23-2004, 01:13 AM
I must be older than you blokes.
The first vehicle I drove was a 1924 Dodge four cylinder tourer cut down into a ute, but that was only around the farm.
The first road registerd vehicle I "legally" drove on the road was a 1956 International AS 110 ute. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Seems eons ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Sherlock
05-23-2004, 01:50 AM
Would have to be either a 1977 Chev Monte Carlo or a 1976 Toyota Celica.

My memories of either one...

Our youth group leader (junior high school I think) once let me drive his Monte Carlo on a side road close to our church, huge car! Not sure why exactly but I recall having trouble driving with that big huge front end in front of me, this was only a brief drive.

Then a couple of years later while at a youth retreat in central Alberta I briefly drove my friends' Celica on rural roads trying to learn how to drive with a standard, as I recall that particular lesson didn't get very far although I did learn later.

I didn't hardly even drive a vehicle until I was 21 except for the times mentioned above...

Then... the first car I drove on the road "legally" was the family car around the time I got my driver's licence (at the ripe old age of 22), it was a 1984 Olds Cutlass Supreme 4-door sedan, nice car have always liked that particular family car, actually drove this one quite abit via second-driver insurance coverage on my dads insurance, oh yeah... this one had a 305 V8 (not the 267 V8 as installed in the States), I think original from the factory, Canadian cars are sometimes a hodge-podge of parts/engines

waltesefalcon
05-23-2004, 02:17 AM
First car I drove was my dads, 68 3/4 International around the farm. First car I drove on the higway was my dads 65 buick wildcat with a 425 and two four barrel AFB's, incidentally it was also the first time I went over 120 mph. My dad always has been a bad influence.

Basil
05-23-2004, 02:59 AM
1960 Jaguar XK150 Drophead Coupe.

Basil

aeronca65t
05-23-2004, 10:33 AM
1947 Ford pickup that looked similar to this one. 3-on-the-floor and flattie V8.
I was 13.
Our's was battleship grey; my Dad painted it with a mop!

https://www.cars-on-line.com/13100/47ford13198-A.jpg

aerog
05-23-2004, 10:33 AM
A chrome-bumper Ford Pinto.

StevenA
05-23-2004, 10:41 AM
A 1958 Nash Rambler on vacation when I was 13 ( I wasn't 13 in '58) and my Dad said you can drive... "Its Arizona, nobody on the roads here anyway"... "Just stay under the speed limit and pull over if you see anyone coming". I drove for about 40 miles before I saw another car and pulled to the side and waited for it to pass. Then drove another 30+ miles til a town was coming up and he took the wheel. The strange thing is that it wasn't a rural road... it was a highway (don't remember which Hwy). The Nash was our "old" car and he figured that I couldn't hurt it... "what about everyone else on the road; that's why I had to pull over.
Cheers, Steve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Bruce Bowker
05-23-2004, 10:58 AM
1962 Afla Romeo Guilietta Spyder. And wish I had it back.

78Z
05-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Sadly is was an 1985 Plymouth Turismo (a K-car) owned by parents at the time. Horrible little car. I remember taking it to school once (a rare treat) and it was snowing that day - the wind direction combined with a gap at the top of the window meant that the interior filled with snow. I'm sure I was the only one shovelling out the interior of the car that day!

coldplugs
05-23-2004, 12:42 PM
1954 Chevy or '53 TD. Not 100% sure which it was.

Dale
05-23-2004, 12:47 PM
First one and the one I learned to drive in was a 1939 Ford PU. 3 speed on the floor, 85 HP flathead V8, no turn signals(we added them later)Had to learn so I could drive my Dad on his water meter reading route. It waas much faster for him to ride the running board and leave the driving to someone else. Lovely old truck don't know what became of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

golf
05-23-2004, 01:55 PM
HMy first car was a 57 Chevy,a great car.My parents had one also and neither one was new.I remember one cold morning I milked the cows for Dad.There was ice on the windshield which I was too lazy to remove.I proceded to crash my car into theirs as I was driving back from the barn.Dad always was understanding.I like my Healey more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gifHappy driving,Ben

sammyb
05-23-2004, 02:57 PM
Honestly, I can't remember which car I drove first...probably a '77 Buick Lesabre, but I remember driving the '55 Packard Patrician before I got my license.

Jerry
05-23-2004, 03:07 PM
1.5 ton Chevy 37" flatbed truck with no brakes. Or a dune buggy, Myers manx version. I can't remember which would have been considered legal and on a road. The truck was in the middle of nowhere Idaho and we drove to and from the all the ranch sections on logging roads. My Uncle just threw us the keys and said, go learn to drive. His only warning was to get off the road if the logging trucks start coming.
Jerry

Bret
05-23-2004, 03:42 PM
First car I drove?

Not 100% sure. I think the first time I actually sat behind the wheel was my momís 65 Impala or my Grandparents 50 something Simca or their 65 Rambler? I also remember taking an old Massey/Furguson Tractor out for a spin a few times too Ė but thatís another story.

However by the time actually drove ďlegallyĒ, was after I got my learners permit I think I was about 15 & Ĺ years old. The drivers Ed car at school was a 1975 Chevy Monty Carlo and (as mentioned in a previous post) my momís car was a 69 Firebird and my step-dad owned an early E-type drop-top and a 65 Corvette coupe. I got to drive the Firebird a lot but I wasnít allowed to drive either of my dadís vehicles until I had passed the aforementioned Drivers Ed course and had to keep my grades up. But I really enjoyed driving the Black Jag and the Peril White Vet the few times my dad surrendered the keys.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

05-23-2004, 06:51 PM
69 Dodge wagon with a 383 magnum engine. My dad ordered it and it was the first wagon I ever saw with bucket seats and an 8 track tape player. Heavy as it was it would burn the tires through the first two gears /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

Henri
05-23-2004, 07:46 PM

Me too...first time driving...a 53 Buick...first car I owned...a 49 Ford...

I'm also younger too...go figure that one out... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

bardunen
05-23-2004, 07:54 PM
A volkswagen 1300. A rare car even then. It was a coupe version of what became later the volkswagen "variant". It was built like an army tank, and my very first accident was colliding with a small brick wall in Spain; The wall collapsed !

Eric
05-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Off the road, an International Farmall Super A and/or an Austin A30. On the road, an Austin A40 Somerset aka the Somersault. Ohhh, now I feel old........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

TypeRboy
05-24-2004, 02:45 AM
1970 Epic GT.. Backed it across two lawn's and crushed my neighbors garbage can ( they were metal then ). It was shades of things to come... I'm a terrible backer still!

UltimateQuestion
05-24-2004, 10:06 PM
'71 Chevy Kingswood Station Wagon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/square.gif With the funky "clamshell" rear gate. I learned to parallel park that boat, and have never had a problem parallel parking anything else.

ThomP
05-25-2004, 06:40 PM
1961 Anglia (105E)! Very reliable, basic transportation. It wasn't the one that turned me to LBCs, but I'll bet it influenced my appreciation of small vs big cars!

MGTF1250Dave
05-27-2004, 05:47 PM
I grew up in rural upstate New York. Friends of mine had what were refered to as "field cars" that were driven by under age drivers around the farm lanes and fields. An Austin sedan was one of these, but it had a siezed engine. After we worked on it most of the winter we got it running. No new parts were used, no repair manual consulted, even the old head gasket was reused. The car was missing the front seat so we used a potato grate and a folding lawn chair, but the leather rear seat was luxurious. The trunk lid was hinged at the bottom so it made a kind of rumble seat. The car also had a sun roof, so you could climb out a go to the rumble seat without stopping. The car lasted the summer, but the engine block cracked in the fall since we didn't have any anti-freeze. This didn't stop its use, you just had to carry extra water to replace what you lost. Unfortunately, early in the winter, it skidded into a deep ditch that smashed the radiator and damaged the front suspension. That was the end for the car. This little car with a 4 speed manual gearbox was a fun car to drive for a group of 13 and 14 year old boys. I wish I could find another like it now.

Safety fast,
Dave

Mickey Richaud
05-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Great question!

Mine was a '60 VW Karmann Ghia. Loved that car, and had a bunch of fun in it.

But I also took driver's ed. at the same time, in a '65 Ford Galaxie. Interesting contrast to a 15-year-old.

Mickey

aeronca65t
05-28-2004, 05:34 AM
I grew up in rural upstate New York. Friends of mine had what were refered to as "field cars" that were driven by under age drivers around the farm lanes and fields. An Austin sedan was one of these..................

This is a remarkably similar story to mine. In the central NJ Pine Barrens, we called them "woods cars". I guess laws were more "common-sense" back then, and folks were less concerned about being sued. Even my brother the lawyer had a woods car. So did the police chief's son. Many of our "repairs" involved reusing old worn-out parts in "creative" ways. One of the most popular cars was my old Austin A-40 with a fold-down trunk lid that kids would stand on while I drove. It burned more oil than gas and we were always begging for the used oil that resulted from oil changes on our parent's cars. One time, in desperation, I substituted some old oil-based paint (hey, it had "oil" in the name). Eventually, the Austin snapped a rod (I still have the mangled rod), so we removed the piston and pushrods from that cylinder (using primitive tools) and used it for many more months. Many other stories related to our woods cars. Here's the Austin and me (around '67).

https://img56.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Cars/nial_a40.jpg

Xracer
05-28-2004, 01:40 PM
My dad's '47 Chrysler Windsor with Fluid Drive (the slushiest 2-speed slushbox ever made)!

Mark Jones
05-28-2004, 03:28 PM
This is an interesting thread.

My first "vehicle" was a 49 John Deere B; the hand clutch was a lot of fun. The next was a 47 Willys CJ3. It had been sitting for about 10 years before I decided that I wanted to try to get it running again. I had my uncle pull the Willys with the John Deere to jump started. The first car I legally drove on the road was a 77 VW Rabbit. Great little car; been driving Rabbit/Golfs ever since.

bigbadbluetr6
05-28-2004, 09:23 PM
I first drove a '92 Mazda MPV minivan, the first manual transmission I drove was a '97 Chevy pickup, the first lbc i drove was a BugEye Sprite. First car i've ever owned by myself was a TR6. well thats my story.
Eric

05-28-2004, 10:24 PM
The first car I owned and drove was a 1968 Datsun 2000 roadster and it is what got me hooked on LBC's. It is still the best Japanesse car Ive ever driven. I soon evolved from LJC to LBC and havent looked back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
jv

BACLVBob
05-29-2004, 12:10 AM
1st car was a Mini, hoever it was'nt long before I got to play with this car https://www.wwebw.com/images/whatcar.jpg then it was back to Mini's & more Mini's!

06-01-2004, 12:06 AM
A 1949 Plymouth 4 door delux sedan. It was the family car and my mother taught me how to drive around the neighborhood streets in Jacksonville, Fla.
Bob

aeronca65t
06-01-2004, 07:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
....it was'nt long before I got to play with this car...

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, Bob...I'll bite.
Is that a Monza-nose Frog or one of those Sebring-Sprite Frogs? (or something else?)

BACLVBob
06-01-2004, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK, Bob...I'll bite.
Is that a Monza-nose Frog or one of those Sebring-Sprite Frogs? (or something else?)

[/ QUOTE ]
Well - I WAS a long time ago - and its a basic Frog Eye (Bug Eye) Sprite, the fiberglass bonnett (hood) came from who knows where but I just had to have it. Even made up Perspex (Plexyglass) headlight covers. A coat of paint and some 'go faster' stickers and I had me a babe puller - until they tried to get in and out of it!

Jim Weatherford
06-01-2004, 04:05 PM
1956 Nash Rambler and a '64 Ford Falcon Station Wagon. I worked for a year and purchased a 1939 Ford Deluxe, it set me back $300. too. I 'graduated' to a 260 Ford Cobra "Slabside" and a trip to the Bonderant School at Riverside, CA in 1965 as a graduation gift, I guess my Dad was amazed that I did actuall graduate. I wish I had that car now!

BRIAN TOWNE
06-01-2004, 05:26 PM
First was 56 Dodge Regent 6 cyl. 3 on the tree followed by
59 Alpine then 61 TR3A, all before 1968. Yikes someone's getting OLD!

bmurphy7369
06-01-2004, 06:44 PM
First car steered, step-dad operating pedals, was the 1959 TR3A.

First car actually driven (around the barnyard) was the restored 1966 Pontiac GTO with the automic shifter on the console.... funny thing, I was always embarassed to ride in this car when I was a kid since it was so old... Why don't we take the new car, Mom??? I wish we still had that car!

Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

VitSport6
06-04-2004, 12:44 AM
My first car was a 71 Chevy Monte Carlo, It was my cousins, I think I was only 12-13, He took us to the drivers course at his school.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Jon12
06-04-2004, 04:22 PM
The first car I had was a 1990 Ford Ranger extended cab with a 2.9l v-6. My grandfather bought it new and drove it for about 4 years before it was rolled 5 times and totaled. A friend of my mothers rebuilt it and had it for a few years before selling it back to us. It shakes at all speeds but its a good truck.

I drove that for 2 years and then bought the '76 Spitfire my senior year. I looked at many different cars before the Spitfire popped up 20 miles away and after the test drive I knew I had to buy it. Haven't had any regrets since.

In a month or two a couple of friends and I are going in on a '86 Suzuki Samurai. We are going to do some of the general modifications for rock crawling and will probably end up hating each other but it should be fun for awhile.

VitSport6
06-05-2004, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

In a month or two a couple of friends and I are going in on a '86 Suzuki Samurai. We are going to do some of the general modifications for rock crawling and will probably end up hating each other but it should be fun for awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good luck with that, Its a great time to be had while building them, But beware he who ruins it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif
Zuk's are fun little rig's, I have a couple of Landcruisers, Lots-o-fun too.
Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Bugeye58
06-05-2004, 11:42 AM
A 1948 Ford panel truck, that was my dads work truck. When I finally got my license, I drove a '57 Pontiac Star Chief.
Jeff

Roger
06-08-2004, 07:42 PM
It had to have been a pre-war Austin Seven, but for the life of me I cannot remember which one - we lived on a farm in England and there were many of them!

mvanderploeg
06-10-2004, 08:09 PM
A '71 Buick Riviera with a boat tail in the back and a 455 up front. It had one of those speedometer warning buzzers that were supposed to keep you from speeding. My Dad got sick of hearing it and set it up at 100mph. The buzzer still went off a few times on a trip out west. Nothing like the days of 50 cent gas.