PDA

View Full Version : TR-2 Long Door on eBay

angelfj1
06-23-2008, 08:21 AM
Anyone "know" this car?

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-T...sspagenameZWDVW (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-TRIUMPH-TR2-1953-TRIUMPH-TR2-RARE-LONG-DOOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6469QQihZ020QQitem Z300234071916QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

emmett1010
06-23-2008, 09:01 AM
Wow-- all that car and no rear view mirrow!

Twosheds
06-23-2008, 10:14 AM
I remember seeing it on the television program.

Banjo
06-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Not fermiliar with it, but I saved all the pics for reference in my resto. NICE car. cleeeean. I like it. and it looks like all the proper TR2 stuff is there.
Painted beading and hinges, 4 slots in the bonnett, dual t-stat housing, small carbs on a low port head, interior release bonnett latch, square taillights, center brakelight, vinyl covered instrument panal, rubber shift knob,enlongated trunk escuchions, center trunk lock.... cool

angelfj1
06-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Banjo: he makes a comment that the original front bumpers did not include over-riders. That's not correct, is it?

Lou Metelko
06-23-2008, 07:37 PM
The owner went through the trouble of getting a painted valve cover but the H6 carburetors really look wrong with the dual thermostat housing. Wonder where he got the info of no over riders for the early cars? Sure the early over riders are hard to find but ....

Definitely not a Concours car but in my opinion well worth the opening bid.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD

68tr
06-23-2008, 10:30 PM
I agree with Lou. These early TR2's are very unique and somewhat handbuilt. If there are any original items which can be preserved/retained it definitely makes a difference. Well worth the starting price in my opinion as well. Perhaps if it were the orignal ICE BLUE with blackberry there would be more interest?! What ya think Lou?!!!

MK

vivdownunder
06-23-2008, 10:51 PM
Frank, I'm not so sure that claim is correct about the over-riders not being on the early TR2's. TS1 rebuilt by the TRR in the UK has them, and the greatest effort was taken with its authenticity. TS166 here has them too.

It might just be that the first 5 off hand made TR2 prototypes didn't have them initially, but I'm pretty sure all the production line cars with Mulliner bodies had front over-riders.

Regards,

Viv.

Andrew Mace
06-24-2008, 08:18 AM
... Perhaps if it were the orignal ICE BLUE with blackberry there would be more interest?! :iagree:

On the other hand, at least it's NOT Signal Red or someone's interpretation of BRG with a tan interior. :wink:

Twosheds
06-24-2008, 09:32 AM
TS1LO has overriders, but it's in the US, Viv. Maybe you're thinking of TS2.

Here's TS1 at TRA 2007 in Geneva, NY.

It will be at Watkins Glen in September.

Banjo
06-24-2008, 08:05 PM
HO BOY!!!! I get to see TS1 at Watkins!!!!!!! YESSSS!!!!
I agree about the overriders. I believe they were a standard item right from the start.
And I mis-stated about the carbs. they are in fact the later H6s (incorrect for TR2) like Lou said. I dident' look very closely. Good catch Lou.
Speaking of the early carbs... anybody have a set? preferably a set that needs to be rebuilt that I could get reasonably cheap? I have the correct head, the correct manifold, but not the carbs.
Course I don'tknow if I'll be using them anyway. Right now I'm planning on using the TR4A engine and head with TR3 intake and H6 carbs that I already have.

vivdownunder
06-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Of course Twosheds. I was thinking the first RHD car, which was indeed TS2. Drinking less red should help.

Cheers,

Viv.

angelfj1
06-25-2008, 06:53 AM
Viv: No my friend. Not less! You need more. For clarity!
Pop open one of our favorites, "Yellow Tail Merlot". Great stuffv from Riverina!

billspohn
06-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Yup, they all have over-riders.

Too bad they changed the head and carbs.

Here is a pic of my long door (3507) with otiginal engine one weekend when I took it out on my local race track. No problem hitting 110 MPH with the 90 BHP low port engine.

You might be able to use MGA carbs on a TR-2, BTW.

https://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/TR-2.jpg