PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 glove box

emmett1010
06-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Hello all you wonderful Triumph gurus;
Things are progressing nicely. Wiring harness, guages, switches, seem to work- Car starts with key now--
But as I'm completing the dash, I'm bumfuzzled over this cubby box.
There is one screw on top behind the striker plate, and thats all that I see. I bought a rear bracket install kit, but no instructions.
Where, and how, does this small bracket attach?
Does it bolt through the upper bulkhead, and then you buy plumbers tape to connect it or what?
Is the box attached at any other point?
Its very hard to put a car together, when all the parts have been thrown in boxes, some parts missing ect.
Its wonderful having you forum guys, for help and advice! Best regards, Emmett

Adrio
06-22-2008, 05:42 PM
I have the same question. Though I have had my TR3 for close to 30 years and never installed that bracket (in fact I did not know there was one until five or so years ago and when I ordered it I had no idea where it went). So if someone could post a picture of it installed it would help (at least) two of us.

TexasKnucklehead
06-23-2008, 01:37 PM
That's a good question. The parts book shows the box and a part labeled as "bracket assembly, cubby box support, rear". I can't tell where it is supposed to be connected and am pretty sure that mine was not installed properly when I got the car (pic attached) -and I'm far from getting to that portion of the car.

PeterK
06-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Looks like your idle speed is a little high. Is the choke stuck?

Mickey Richaud
06-23-2008, 02:56 PM
It's been a while since I had my TR3, but I remember it being a flimsy affair at best.

Here's a link to the TRf catalog that shows the kit to install (their number RFK 651), and a picture that may help:

https://www.zeni.net/trf/miniTR2TR3/49.php?s_wt=1280&s_ht=1024

Hope that helps...

Mickey

TR3driver
06-23-2008, 04:46 PM
"bolts to dash support bracket at forward end of glove box"

That's the way I remembered it, but since it's been a long, long time since I had a cubby box (had my MP3 player there), I wasn't sure. The dash support bracket, of course, runs from the battery box to the lower edge of the dash below the choke knob.

angelfj1
06-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Emmett: Maybe this drawing from the original parts catalog will help. Of course the example was based on the home market (rhd) cars. If you plan to do detailed restoration you can get this catalog on CD.
https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/angelfj/cubbybox11.jpg

Adrio
06-23-2008, 06:22 PM
interesting. If you look at the drawing FJA provided and the drawing in TRF link Mickey provided there is more then the LHD vs RHD difference. The FJA one shows the threaded portion of the part facing forward while TRF drawing shows the threaded portion of the part facing aft.

Once I get my sail boat our of this garage and the TR3 back in here I might have to play contortionist and look under there to see what can be done. But to save my back if anyone can hold (just blindly, don't contort) a digital camera under there and try to snap a picture my lower vertebrae will thank them.

MGTF1250Dave
06-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Aloha Emmett,

As Randall said, the bracket is attached to the dash support bracket and the vertical end of the fiber board glove box. There should be a hole punched in the glove box for the bracket to bolted to it. I don't recall if the stud in the bracket goes through the glove box hole or the dash support bracket. I suspect trial and error will give you the best fit. keep in mind that will have a large bundle of wire passing near there so be careful about sharp edges and screws.

If you look at the photo posted by Texasknucklehead you will see two small holes in the bottom of the fiber board box at the open end. There are corresponding holes in the dash board so you can bolt the box to the dash board through these holes.

PeterK
06-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Why not run a thin aluminum bar underneath the glove box, from the dash bracket to the passenger side footwell. All you need is a "L" bent on the pass side and a single screw to fasten it. I plan to do this to mine but glove box is out for wiring access.

emmett1010
06-23-2008, 09:26 PM
hello;
Gee you guys are wonderful.
It seems the bracket is designed to be attached through the left side of the cubby box to the right dash brace.
Probably ok if you use the cubby for car papers, but if you fill it with spare parts, I love the plumbers tape cross brace idea. my karma
Thanks again to you all,
Emmett