PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Need advice-estimate on Spitfire rebuild

Cyberpyr8
06-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I have my 79 Spitfire engine down to the block, but still in the car. I know it needs the thrust washers replaced and I know it will need some piston work. Since I have never done an engine rebuild I need some advice from those that have been there.

If I pull the engine and send it to a machine shop how far do I need to strip it down for them and will they put it back together and test it for me? How much do you think it will cost (roughly)? I am not afraid to pull it and do most of the work.

I am not going to try and make it a race car. I just want it to be rebuilt so I can go back to using it as my daily driver again. I want it to be reliable (as a LBC can be!)

eejay56
06-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Just been there. I have about 1000 miles on my engine. Of course every situation is different YMMV. I took the engine apart completely to take to the machine shop. Machinists generally don't do disassembly or assembly. If you want it put together you'll need to pay a mechanic. Pro-they (hopefully) know what they're doing and will do it all correctly. Con-expensive,you don't know if it's right. An engine rebuild is not difficult if you take your time and have a good manual. You'll get lots of help here on the forum. It's not rocket science it's 30 year old automotive science, and it wasn't state of the art then. I had the block bored, crankshaft turned, cam reground, head rebuild, rods rebuilt,some other stuff. Machine work came to about $900. Parts were about $700. It took me a while to get it dialed in but now it runs great and I expect it to for a good long time.

LarryK
06-19-2008, 10:33 PM
Ask your machine shop for an estimate on rebuild, grinding and re-assembly. My brother-in law lives in Crestview if you are close I can get shops in the Ft. Walton/Destin/Pensacola/Andulusia AL area from him.

myspitfire
06-19-2008, 10:41 PM
My engine(1974)(in a 1979 Spit) rebuild 4 years ago cost $3117.00,they replaced the engine with a short block & reused all the good parts from the previous engine,installed new flat top pistons a standard new cam with a NEW zs single carb(manual choke) & new borg clutch assembly & all ancillarys.And used nothing but NOS & Stanpart parts.They ALSO removed ALL the old emmision accessories.Its been running like dream ever since,Except in the winter time only on nice days.Plus since i've updated ALOT of things,right now you can't tell it from new.
When i recieved the car from Calif 4 years ago everything else was restored except the engine i finished the job.
but usually thats what a good British car rebuilder will charge give or take a $100.00 or so...As for all the upgrades Paul Tegler was alot of help(Nass)

billspit
06-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Here's my rundown for my 1500, but it's not finished.

$350 machine shop work on block and crank only (overbored 0.20"), crank balanced and polished.

$400 for pistons, bearings, gaskets etc.

$115 for reground cam

$215 for rebuilding head with three angle grind.

~$100 for parts to put in head (valves, guides and springs)

Add about $100 for stupid shipping of parts.

I had different shops do the head and block.

If you just "service" the head, you can get out cheaper. Spend the money to have the crank balanced.

I've seen prices to rebuild 4 cyl engines at commerical shops from $2,500 to $3,500. I'm not sure that includes pulling and replacing the engine of not.

Most machine shops want the engine torn down. Most will reassemble the engine for a fee. I was quoted $175-300.

myspitfire
06-20-2008, 05:40 PM
To followup;When they pulled the old motor with everything on minus the few reusable items they rebuilt the new motor on the bench afterwhich they plunked the new motor in place.The old motor i parted out sold the bare block & sold ALL remaining parts on Ebay,of which i made around $300.00/400.00.Which in turn made up some of the rebuild cost.,So the actual cost of my rebuild was $3117.00 minus 3/$400.00.If your smart you can do that too,its easy.

Cyberpyr8
06-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks guys. I've been told that I should be able to get it done for $1200-1500. I just need to know how I can save some money and what I need to do before I take it to the shop. But I do want it done right.