PDA

View Full Version : Don't Be "Fuelish"

Trick6
06-19-2008, 05:53 PM
PEOPLE, CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINE FILTER AT THE START OF EACH SEASON.

Now that being said, I, after limping home for the second time this season, had to remove the middle carb of the three and clean it of stuff. I could not figure it out. While I had the center one down, I decided to take all three off, take them apart, and clean them inside and out. Amazing.

I was exchanging emails with Rick Patton and he just asked about the fuel filter. THE WHAT? I knew it was there but why bother?

This is a simple fix and I feel a little foolish but I had not replaced the fuel filter that came with the electric fuel pump in 2 seasons. Now once I replaced the filter, Rick asked me what was in the old one? So I cut it open and took a look see. HS!!! It was full of sand, little stones and other little rubbery silicone materials. It looked like the beach at Valdez after an oil spill, without the dead birds and fish.

So don't be "fuelish." Change the fuel line filter(s).

AltaKnight
06-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Good advice; and I'm going to do it this weekend!

Tinster
06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
PEOPLE, CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINE FILTER AT THE START OF EACH SEASON.

So don't be "fuelish." Change the fuel line filter(s).

<span style="color: #990000">Great minds think alike, it seems!!

And don't forget in-line filter(s) will fit at each carb
fuel inlet as well. </span> :jester:

tinster

https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/TinsterTR6/newfilters.jpg

71tr
06-19-2008, 06:24 PM
So where do you think all the debris is coming from? Perhaps your fuel tank needs to be cleaned out and sealed.

Trick6
06-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Tinster:
Great looking set up. Love the shut off valve. I have the same little shut off sitting on my bench. I wanted to install it further back at the fuel tank but I might put it where you have yours, just in front of the filters and pump. My pump is located a little forward under the driverís seat but I might move it all further back. Thanks for the picture.

vivdownunder
06-19-2008, 07:48 PM
And that little cut off valve, if located where it's easily accessible, rather than in the engine bay, would make an excellent anti-theft device.

Perhaps beneath the car opposite a door gap, for locating, where you could easily reach under for it. A bit of a drama if wet and muddy though.

Viv.

After thought....carry a rubber glove

Trick6
06-20-2008, 07:31 AM
I have a simple hidden toggle switch controlling the fuel pump for the bad guys. I use it when the car is parked out of sight, i.e. golfing, picnicking, outdoor concerts, day trips to little villages, overnight car shows, etc. The car will go a few hundred feet on the fuel in the float bowls and then stops. I don't think that the bad guys are going to search all over for a toggle switch. Oh, by the way, if you guys do something like this, don't place the toggle switch on the dash and don't mark it "Fuel Pump" where ever it is located. Don't laugh, I have seen this.

PeterK
06-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Dale,

The paper element 10 micron filter you are using will totally block gas if it ever gets wet with water. Any water in your system will clog it, irrespective of how clean your tank and lines are.

I avoid using those except on my John Deere and lawn equipment.

Use an automotive screen type filter instead.

TR3driver
06-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Oh, by the way, if you guys do something like this, don't place the toggle switch on the dash and don't mark it "Fuel Pump" where ever it is located. Don't laugh, I have seen this. But, are you sure it was actually connected to the fuel pump ? A nice, attractive switch on the dash connected to the horns (with the actual switch hidden somewhere else) would be an interesting idea ...

Tinster
06-20-2008, 01:05 PM
PeterK- Now I'm totally confused. That fine filter
is the specific make and model recommended to me--
here on the BCF. I added the 30 micron tube in front
of it to pick up large chunks of crud.

Randall- sometimes the best place hide something is in
"plain view" !!

FrankA drove the Beast and never noticed the switch.
<span style="color: #990000">Not that anyone would attempt to steal
my bucket of bolts, Crypt Car ! je,je,je, </span>

regards,

d

:thumbsup:

[img]https://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/TinsterTR6/cutout.jpg

PeterK
06-20-2008, 01:43 PM
PeterK- Now I'm totally confused. That fine filter
is the specific make and model recommended to me--
here on the BCF.

Dale,

Not recommended by me. Paper element filters can quickly saturate and clog, blocking gas flow when they get wet with water. Your testing supplies may be covered by Medicaid. :wink:

With your history of water in your fuel tank, I recommend avoiding paper element fuel filters for this reason. Use a sintered bronze or ceramic element filters instead. They can be taken apart, cleaned and reused as needed.

So NOW you're totally confused?

HTH,

PK

TR3driver
06-20-2008, 01:52 PM
With your history of water in your fuel tank, I recommend avoiding paper element fuel filters for this reason. :iagree: But IMO a better option is a glass sediment bowl type filter that you can inspect and clean periodically.

Check eBay, but don't bid on this one :
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;viewitem=&amp;item=130230820700

PeterK
06-20-2008, 02:36 PM
A good reason to keep the original mechanical pumps. I also run a glass/bronze element after the glass sediment (and it still needs clenaing periodically).

TR3driver
06-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Thot you might enjoy this shot of the sediment bowl from my 59 TR3A. In spite of all the grunge (guess I had been a little remiss about cleaning it), this engine was running just fine.

TR2-4A were equipped with a sediment bowl as original equipment, and in 20 years of driving this car almost every day, I never saw the need to install anything more.

PeterK
06-22-2008, 12:18 PM
yummy

Brosky
06-22-2008, 04:51 PM
Looks like my morning corn flakes....

Say. isn't that what ethanol is made from, corn???

TR3driver
06-22-2008, 05:43 PM
I believe the whitish patches that look like flakes were the remains of water 'puddles' that evaporated through the gasoline during the several years it's been parked in my driveway.

Guess I should have taken another shot after pouring out the stale fuel, sorry.