PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Grandfather gave me his 69TR6.

69_TR6
06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
To All:

I'm 27 years old and my Grandfather gave me his pride and joy. Since this is my first post I was just wondering if you guys had any good info. on a full resteration of a 69 TR-6?
This car was last registered in 91, it has not been on the road since. During that time he has been sanding the car for a fresh paint job. Well that lasted a couple of years. And ever since than.... it has been getting a california rust job. So I have alot work to do and any help would be great.

Thanks

billspit
06-18-2008, 12:33 PM
Before this is over, you are going to wonder if your grandfather loved you or not.

vagt6
06-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Congrats on getting your granddad's car. I'm sure he expects you to take very good care of it!

You indicate that it needs a "full restoration". Why do you say that? Does it run? Will the engine start? Does anything electrical work? Is it really rusty with holes in the floor pans, sills, etc.???

Give us a few specifics and we can provide targeted info for you.

Also, what is your skill level with fixing cars? Can you do body work?

Let us know . . .

jerrybny
06-18-2008, 12:35 PM
But when the car is finished restoration the fact will become clear that your grandfather did indeed love you. S restored TR6 is wonderful thing.

tdskip
06-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Welcome! This forum is amazingly helpful - and you will find people very eager to help.

Where in Cal are you? We have quite a few members scattered throughout the state.

Lou Metelko
06-18-2008, 01:00 PM
My advice is to be sure to keep your Grandfather intimately involved in this proposed restoration. It would no doubt break his heart for you to change the basic character of his beloved TR6. Ask the Grandfather for any photos of he and the TR6 in their earlier life and then try to duplicate that look.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

kodanja
06-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Tr ownership!

yur in fer a ride, WELL NOT FOR A WHILE...lol!

((just kidding!))

This is the place to be for anything Triumph
You've tapped into one of the best resouces on the web!

Granpa will be proud.

1st thing we need lots of pix!!!

Does your car have O/D? or any other special features?

69_TR6
06-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Wow!

As soon as I figure out how to download pics I will. Stand by.

Mickey Richaud
06-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Nothing will please me more when it's my time than to pass along my pride and joy (If I still have one!) to my grandson/grandaughter)... (If I have one then!)

You and he are both very fortunate.

Looking forward to the pics...

And welcome to the Forum!

:cheers:
Mickey

kodanja
06-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow!

As soon as I figure out how to download pics I will. Stand by.

Simply go to www.photobucket.com (https://www.photobucket.com) set up a free account upload yer pix, then copy the url into the forum :savewave:

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/DSC02404.jpg

PeterK
06-18-2008, 01:46 PM
My grandfather had a 1909 Model T roadster that he gave to my uncle who sold it (without asking anyone if they wanted it). I did get his 1966 Rambler American for $75 though. Lucky me.

Moseso
06-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Lucky you!!

My grandpa's idea of "stylin" was a Ford LTD. I have no idea what happened to it and, frankly, don't care. It was a BOAT!

Enjoy your project. I've had enormous pleasure (and, of course, equally enormous frustrations at times) from redoing my TR3. I expect that driving a car that I have assembled myself will be a real treat!

Brosky
06-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Welcome to the forum! And good luck with your project.

We'll be here to help you along.

sail
06-18-2008, 04:31 PM
You are in the right place, congrats on your new car.
1 1/2 years ago I bought a car that had sat since 92 and with all the info here got it on the road safely in about 6 months; slow worker with little experience. I have numerous threads watched for future projects.
My grandfather bought a new Harly when he got back from WWI, drove it in the ditch the first week and sold it to the guy on that corner.

Tinster
06-18-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm 27 years old and my Grandfather gave me his pride and joy.
I was just wondering if you guys had any good info. on a 69 TR-6?

Thanks

<span style="color: #990000">Welcome to "The Moneypit" and the BCF, youngster!!
Yer about to make many new friends from around the world;
go broke financially, shed many a tear and enjoy doing it all.

That stated&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; :wall: :driving: :banana:

Git out yer wallet, apply for a large Line of Credit at yer bank,
sell all yer investments, keep Grandfather totally involved
(ie checkbook in his back pocket); ya might also consider getting
a part time job at an auto supply store, so ya get 20% employee discounts

Now repeat after me- <span style="color: #663366">" I promise to NEVER EVER smack my old
Grandfather with a 1 1/4" spanner for giving me his 69TR6 ". </span>

welcome, lad !!

Tinster w/ the infamous '69 TR6 called the Crypt Car
</span>

:thumbsup:

kindofblue
06-18-2008, 07:25 PM
To All:

I'm 27 years old and my Grandfather gave me his pride and joy. Since this is my first post I was just wondering if you guys had any good info. on a full resteration of a 69 TR-6?
This car was last registered in 91, it has not been on the road since. During that time he has been sanding the car for a fresh paint job. Well that lasted a couple of years. And ever since than.... it has been getting a california rust job. So I have alot work to do and any help would be great.

Thanks

Do you want to be driving, or do you want to doing a full restoration? Have you ever driven a Triumph (or any old sports car ) before? Are you a member of the local club?

I ask these because 6 years ago I was 28 and had been given my first Triumph, a TR250. It had been sitting since 1991 as well. Mine was not a family car, so you will want to be keeping yours. I decided I wanted to drive and sold it for the Tr4a. See if you can borrow someones TR for a little spin. You will need that taste on your tongue to get you through the ordeal.

Anyway, make sure you join the local club. Bringing any old car back to life is an enormous endeavor. You will need the knowledge and experience of your local club members. (especially since you haven't been working with these for 35 years!)

If you want to get the car on the road - replace all the brake, clutch, and fuel lines first. I didn't know with the TR250, but when English cars are left to sit, the brake lines rust up. All the fuel lines will be cracked. Unless you know for sure he parked it for mechanical reasons, the engine and trans should be ok. Remove all the spark plugs and pour oil in the cylinder bores before turning the engine over by hand.

Good luck - we are here for you. What are of CA are you in?

DougF
06-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Can we assume that you got the car because everytime you visited your grandparents, you were checking it out in the garage?
These cars are fun to drive and they ooze personality, both in appearance and while driving. But they are far from a contemporary automobile. It is not a car that you turn the key and go everytime you wish. They do require very minor maintenance periodically and major maintenance more often than your typical Honda. You will find yourself tinkering a lot, if that is what you like to do. If you have somebody else do the work, it can become very costly. Check the hourly rates at your reputable local garages. Invest the money you would spend at a garage in tools and shop manuals and you will be much further ahead.
If you read past threads, you will see some of the problems people have to deal with. But you will also see that many of the members of this forum are long time owners. If you have the fever, you'll love it.
Other than paint, if the car can be made safe and road worthy affordably, go for it. Drive it, enjoy it, and take your grandfather for many rides...maybe even let him drive it.
Since the car has been sitting, make sure to thoroughly check the entire brake system. Make certain too that the clutch is in good order.
Don't worry about a full restoration. They can be very time consuming and costly. See if you like the car before throwing a lot of money at it.
And use the forum, share your joys and heartaches. We can all relate.