PDA

View Full Version : New Starter Installation

BobbyD
06-13-2008, 10:39 AM
Folks.....I just updated my site with the installation of Ted Schumacher's gear reduction starter. Quality product and a great price. The TR6 starter can be a PITA to install due to limited access of the top bolt/nut. I came up with a pretty simple way of doing it that made it an easy one person operation. You can see it here https://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/Starter.htm

tomshobby
06-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Good job Bob, I have always said it is the bag of tricks that makes the mechanic.

Tinster
06-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Hey Bob!!

Nice layout!!

I like your skinny wrench with bend and thin metal weld.

I've got a few skinny wrenchs I've ground thin but the bend
and thin metal weld is a valuable technique.

And yeah, I recently installed a standard TR6 starter
by myself and it IS a bear to get in.

Thanks much,

dale

donbmw
06-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Bob

I hope you removed the allen head bolts tha hold the start to adapter and loctie them. You can go a short time or as long as about 4 years before you hear the starter sound funny whe starting or it wont start at all and only hear the starter turn.

Don

BobbyD
06-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Ummmmmm.......Hmmmmm.....Nope....never even crossed my mind. But you make a very good point. I guess along with checking fluid levels, I'll have to add....check starter tightness!

go_inbroke
06-13-2008, 12:45 PM
I like a guy who can think outside of the box. Great job!

TR3driver
06-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Dunno if this applies to the TR6, but on my TR3A I finally put a Heli-coil into the bellhousing so I no longer had to deal with that dang nut. Made the starter R&R much easier.

I liked the mod so much that I copied it to the TR6 gearbox I put in later. That time I did it with the gearbox out of the car, but the first time I just ran it in through the opening in the engine block. No doubt the special tap left some threads in the block, but they don't hurt anything <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Trick6
06-13-2008, 08:08 PM
I switched my stock starter for the gear reduction one when I upgraded to a 6-3-1 header and tri carbs - the entire passenger side of the motor was exposed so why the heck not. I wish I had the BobbyD tricks then. I found that there was a certain way to hold your mouth to get that top bolt fastened. I tried other expressions but it was just the special one that got it done.

DNK
06-13-2008, 10:03 PM
<span style="font-size: 26pt">HEY</span> I didn't get the female part of the locking spade connector.