PDA

View Full Version : Good Money Wasted

DNK
06-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Just finished the complete suspension redo on the *8. I always end up with way to much hardware left over. Must have wasted close to $30 here.One day I'll learn.

https://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/donkelly23/DSCF2943.jpg

DrEntropy
06-08-2008, 04:20 PM
ummm... geez, Don... if ya consider it "wasted" ya can send all that "scrap" on over here to th' hovel. I'll take care of it. :laugh:

AweMan
06-08-2008, 04:41 PM
I.M.H.O. Hardware is NEVER a waste. Even if it take 20 years to use it. Besides, cheaper back then than now!
My problem with accumulated hardware is I NEVER seem to have the right stuff. Or if I did i`v already used it on another project! I agree with DrEntropy ifn ya dun want it takin` space in yer hovel send it my way :lol: I have plenty of places to store such goodies.

PeterK
06-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Back then it was made in the US or UK. Unlike today when even the US Brands are sourced overseas (China, Taiwan, etc).

I keep several large hardware assortments that I put together just in case. Grade 8 hex bolts, fine and course threads. Grade 5 hex bolts, Grade 8 washers and nuts. It's nice to have the right fastener handy when you need it.

Tinster
06-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Hey Don,

I always buy a few extra in case I mess up.
Better to have extras than having to drive cross town
to the speciality bolt store for one or two bits of
this and that.

I'm curious. I used all grade #8 on my front and rear
suspension rebuild. Mine were black in color. What
is the coating on yours? Mine rust REAL fast here in
the humid tropics.

d

DNK
06-08-2008, 06:08 PM
All grade 8.8 it's all metric and won't help 90% of the people on this forum. Sorry
Dale- I can choose the coating on mine depending on the source and what I want.How do you mess up. I can see getting extra nylocks because I don't like to reuse after torquing., but bolts?

Believe me, won't throw it away but probably won't need 12mm X1.75 bolts in the near term.

John_Mc
06-08-2008, 07:36 PM
I had a lot of extras from Orchard Supply Hardware when I was done and I took it all back (with receipt) and got a full refund. 90 day return policy.

angelfj1
06-08-2008, 07:36 PM
Yes!!! Especially with gas at $4.04 here. We actually sat down this week and organized use of the vehicles to consolidate trips. When we look back at our old way, we were wasting lots of fuel and time with multiple trips into town

DNK
06-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Unfortunately, I get all my hardware from 3 different sources and recylcle the recepts as soon as I get in the garage. 2-3 dollars at a time.
Frank should have added the cost of fuel on all those trips too!

Tinster
06-09-2008, 06:33 AM
All grade 8.8 it's all metric and won't help 90% of the people on this forum. Sorry
Dale- I can choose the coating on mine depending on the source and what I want.How do you mess up. I can see getting extra nylocks because I don't like to reuse after torquing., but bolts?

Believe me, won't throw it away but probably won't need 12mm X1.75 bolts in the near term.

Don, just curious-

Why are you installing metric fasteners?

d

DrEntropy
06-09-2008, 06:37 AM
:lol:

TR-7, TR-8... "transitional" time period.

Tomster
06-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Blame the excess on the aspartame!

swift6
06-09-2008, 10:16 AM
:lol:

TR-7, TR-8... "transitional" time period.

:iagree: Wedge owners are lucky, we get both Metric and SAE fasteners. Also means you have to buy metric tools. :frown: / :smile:

DNK
06-09-2008, 10:17 AM
dale- As the good doctor says, transitional period. The engine in the car uses UNC bolts coarse threads not fine as in the 6's. 99% of the suspension uses metric threads except the rear trailing arms and the wheel spindle which I think is 9/16 X 16.
Drives me crazy.
There are probably more I just haven't removed them yet.

IanF
06-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Ahh... so it's like working on an 80's/80's American car... you never know which wrench you're going to need... :crazyeyes:

I have tons of extra hardware that I've collected over the last couple of decades... of course, finding the bolt/nut/washer I need is another matter... so I often end up just running to the local Ace and buying it. I keep saying while I'm wasting time watching football this Fall, I'll sort and organize my hardware collection.

To which Jerseygirl says, "sure you will..." :lol:

Tinster
06-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Wow, Don - that's interesting!

When I first started to rebuild my TR6, I replaced
a whole bunch of DPO Pedro's rusted up metric fasteners
with new metric fasteners. The car was Brit so I thought metric was correct.

Then I replaced them with stainless steel metric fasteners.

Then the forum guys told me SS was weak and to use
grade #8 for suspension fasteners. So I switched fasteners
again.

Thankfully PeterK advised me of the correct fine and coarse
SAE fasteners for me car.

But I still find a few of DPO Pedro's metric bolts here
and there.

regards,

dale

DougF
06-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Metric 8.8 is the same strength as Grade 5, 120,000 psi. 10.9 is the same as Grade 8 at 150,000 psi...in case anybody cares.

DrEntropy
06-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Thank you Doug! <~I~> care. :wink:

I keep saying while I'm wasting time watching football this Fall, I'll sort and organize my hardware collection.

To which Jerseygirl says, "sure you will..." :lol:

FIX that, Ian! Even if it's cookie tins and Dixie cups as bins and a pair of screw pitch gauges WHILE you watch football!!!

DNK
06-09-2008, 06:37 PM
Doug, your right and most of the stuff is Grade 8 equivalent but a couple of pieces I didn't need it that strong

DrEntropy
06-09-2008, 06:46 PM
This could lead to a deep, DEEP discussion over shear and tensile strengths of the various fastener "grades"...

Specific applications, merits and pitfalls of Stainless vs. mild steel, hardening processes. Metallurgy gone stupid.

...better left for a fire pit and CAB's tho... :jester:

DNK
06-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I think we've been there done that toooooo many times :jester:

DrEntropy
06-09-2008, 08:14 PM
What... th' long discussions into the wee hours???

I ~WISH~!!!

Aldwyn
06-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I'd rather have to much then not enough. :smile:

DNK
06-09-2008, 08:44 PM
That what sh....never mind