PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on getting wheels x-rayed?

MadRiver
06-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Howdy all:

As I'm getting ready to put my Silverstones on my TR250, I've had a couple of car friends warn me about hidden cracks and wheel integrity. I've seen people mention on the forum that they've had their wheels x-rayed. Any thoughts about how one goes about this, other than befriending the local radiologist? :laugh:

Thanks as always!

B.

kodanja
06-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Magnetic partical testing!!!!

Tomster
06-06-2008, 08:56 AM
I would think that mag flux per the above would work or any industrial inspection copmpany for mag or xray. Lots near here due to the Oil business. <span style="font-weight: bold">Not</span> inexpensiuve I would guess.

bobh
06-06-2008, 08:58 AM
K,

Good thought but wrong material. Mag particle testing is for ferrous materials. The original Silverstones might be magnesium or possibly aluminum. You might consider dye penetrant. That will reveal surface cracks. Plus you can do that yourself.
Years ago I worked at Atlas Iron Works in Gainesville VA. We were required to X-Ray the joints on plate girders. Atlas is long gone but the expertise and equipment is probably still available within 100 miles of DC. Search on Non destructive testing and see what comes up. Another possibility is to contact the SCCA or one of the vintage race organizations.
BOBH

kodanja
06-06-2008, 09:46 AM
ah!

donbmw
06-06-2008, 10:03 AM
You can go to a welding supply store a get the dye check.

Don

angelfj1
06-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Bill: Unless you want to invest a lot of money, you might try one of the industrial penitrant dyes. Check this out for background. Also, we (my company) use X-ray evaluation of critical welds in special electrical bus bars (alum) but this is VERY expensive and can be dangerous due to the higher energy sources (isotopes) we use. :eeek:

https://www.qualitymag.com/CDA/Articles/Supplement/e4a36e9d3e16e010VgnVCM100000f932a8c0____

tomshobby
06-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Bill, next time you fly take them along.

Twosheds
06-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Dye penetrant inspection will reveal surface cracks, but...

If these are the wheels I saw for sale at VTR in Valley Forge last year, you will need to strip that nice paint off first. The paint seals the cracks and won't allow the dye to penetrate the crack.

Use a chemical method to strip the paint. Mechanical methods can burnish the material over a crack, hiding it.

X-ray inspection, I believe, may be performed without paint removal. Also you can use ultrasonic or eddy current non-detructive inspection. Eddy current inspection is used alot on magnesium aircraft wheels.

Also, X-ray, ultrasonic, and eddy current inspection will find subsurface cracks. Dye penetrant will only find surface cracks.