PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Clutch/Brake Reservoir

Moseso
06-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Took my fluid reservoir apart today to clean the gunk-of-the-ages out of it. I need new rubber washers? o-rings? to put the nipples back into it with. There seems to be a consensus hereabouts as to what the "right kind of rubber" to be in contact with brake fluid is, but my forum search didn't turn it up.

Anyone care to remind this poor savage what sort of rubber composition I should look for, to replace rubber gaskets in my brake/clutch res?

TR3driver
06-05-2008, 04:04 PM
EPDM

Moseso
06-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks!

MGTF1250Dave
06-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Aloha,

I agree with Randall, EPDM (Ethylene Propylene) should be compatible with either glycol based (DOT 3 & 4) and silicone (DOT 5) brake fluids. A few years ago I rebuilt the reservoir in my TR3. I was able to get the "rubber" washers for the inside and the copper washers for the outside from one of the large home improvement/hardware stores (Lowe's I think).

Don Elliott
06-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I didn't pay attention 18 years ago when I was putting mine all back together. Since then I have used silicone fluid. I may have put in some new rubber seals of unknown composition and maybe I re-used some seals that were in there from before.

I never had any problems, but the purple silicone fluid turns black. 98,000 miles since then and my TR3A still stops like new.