PDA

View Full Version : sediment bowl gasket

SeanTR3
05-17-2004, 01:40 PM
Hi, I have a follow-up question about a fuel leak at the sediment bowl. I ordered a couple of gaskets from Moss and I am ready to install one. Last Fall, someone mentioned soaking the gasket before installing it. Should I soak it in gas or water?
Thanks.

Webb Sledge
05-17-2004, 05:21 PM
I am by no means a mechanic, but the only reason I could think to soak the gasket would be so that it wouldn't tear when you put it on, and in that case, it wouldn't really matter. But again, I'm not a mechanic and I could be way off base here.

MGTF1250Dave
05-17-2004, 05:33 PM
Aloha Sean,
I soak cork type gaskets in light motor oil for a few hours before installing them. Wipe the excess off before using them. This soak makes them more pliable and less likely to break, as the cork tends to dry out over time and become rather brittle. I use oil because most repair manuals recommend the little cork doughnuts that are used as jet seals in the earlier SU carbs should be soaked in oil prior to use.

Safety Fast,
Dave

SeanTR3
05-17-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the replies. The reason I asked was that after I installed a new dry gasket in the Fall, it leaked no matter how tight the sediment bowl nut was turned. I was afraid to tighten it too far and risk breaking the bowl, but I did want to eliminate the leak.