PDA

View Full Version : Question on Welding sills

TommyMG
05-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Getting to the point to where the body work is about to start on my Midget project. Once I find a welder/bodyshop person I like, what should I look out for when welding the inner and outer sills that run along the bottom of the car? Major rust here. I have the replacement panels. Any tricks to the trade here? Thanks!
I love this forum by the way!

Mickey Richaud
05-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Hopefully you'll find someone who has done this sort of thing before. Regardless, you might want to get hold of the Haynes Restoration Manual for MGB's, by Lindsay Porter. Even though it is specific to the "B", the body work portion, which is very well written and has great pictures, is pretty much universal to this type of operation.

Be sure they brace the door opening, and cross-brace across the top of the cockpit, once you're satisfied that that area is square.

Keep us posted.

Mickey

TommyMG
05-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Thank you for the info! I will investigate the Haynes book. I have the regular Haynes for my '75 1500 but they really did not touch on body work. Getting the old sills out of there looks like a job and a half also!

spritenut
05-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Support the car on a couple of 4x4s, weld the doors shut with a cross bar top and bottom, or weld bars across the door openings before you cut out the sills. Take notice of the upsweep in the front frame rails, this is NOT a defect, it is supposed to be there.
Replacing the inner and outer sills is like replacing the frame, make sure the body is well supported. Use some 2x4s to hold up the front and rear cowls from the floor.

TommyMG
05-19-2004, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully you'll find someone who has done this sort of thing before. Regardless, you might want to get hold of the Haynes Restoration Manual for MGB's, by Lindsay Porter. Even though it is specific to the "B", the body work portion, which is very well written and has great pictures, is pretty much universal to this type of operation.<p>Be sure they brace the door opening, and cross-brace across the top of the cockpit, once you're satisfied that that area is square.<p>Keep us posted.<p>Mickey

[/ QUOTE ]

Mickey!
I was able to find a Haynes Restoration Manual for Midgets by Lindsay Porter on Amazon.com UK. (unavailable in the USA) Great book and really covers the sill replacement very well. Thanks!!!