PDA

View Full Version : Won't start

SilentUnicorn
05-02-2004, 07:37 PM
more like som bad grounds...check and clean the batter terminals and starter conections to and from the solenoid..

Good luck

mark

ps. you did rehook up the block ground strap??

[ 05-02-2004: Message edited by: SilentUnicorn ]</p>

StevenA
05-03-2004, 03:11 AM
What did I do? I put new rings, new clutch slave cyl, rebuilt master cyl, and NOW... when I try to start it... it turns slowly and when I push the clutch in it won't turn at all. What combination could cause such a weird situation?
New items: Plugs, rings, gaskets, wires, slave cyl, master-rebuild, brake master rebuild, new brakes, ... new carpet and new top. What does any of that have to do with the engine not turning when the clutch is depressed?

StevenA
05-03-2004, 03:31 AM
Thrust washer ?????

Bruce Bowker
05-03-2004, 07:59 AM
Don't attempt to start it until you can move it freely. Binding somewhere and if it is the clutch or that area you might do more damage. Doubt the rings could be that tight.

Did you change or remove main bearings or rod bearings?

StevenA
05-03-2004, 08:10 AM
Grounds are in place... cable to starter is in place... I will remove and replace them all today... or clean and retighten... whichever is needed

I did replace the rod bearings while the pistons were out. Car only has +/- 32000 miles on it so the rings that I used were stock and nothing oversized was needed... very little wear ... it had been stored in a dry storage facility for 21 years and not run.

Bruce Bowker
05-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Make sure rod bearings are not too tight meaning wrong size. It is a lot of work but if you don't find a simple answer in the starter like a ground wire than something is binding. You might need to take off the oil pan, loosen the rod bearing caps and see if engine tunrs easily BY HAND at that point. If not than you might have to take off the trans and see if that allows it to turn. Since you changed the clutch and when you depress it it won't turn at all it sure sounds like that area.

StevenA
05-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Thanks Bruce... that is what I didn't want to hear. That is exactly what I was afraid of and was hoping to find another answer... but will check that also... on my next day off.... which is two weeks from my last day off. Working really puts a dent in playing with my toys

Bruce Bowker
05-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Steven - I would surely look in the clutch area first before rods etc. Again, if you depress the clutch and it locks it all up it HAS to be there.

Good luck. Only good part of the entire thing is when you find the problem it is really a relief and in mechanical cases, quite rewarding. Much like finding lost keys or a wallet but a lot more work.

aeronca65t
05-10-2004, 08:59 AM
Bruce has given good advice....check clutch system first before removing oil pan. On my 1500, it's pretty easy to put the clutch disk in backwards (which might cause this problem).
Assuming clutch system is OK:
Wrong size thrust washers can cause this. The crank should be able to "rock" North/South about 0.008" (push/pull on the front crank pulley)....if it doesn't have any freeness, this may indicate thrust washer problem.
If spark plugs are out, you should be able to turn engine by hand (with a good effort). If you suspect a rod bearing problem, you can remove the oil pan and use plastigage to check rod bearing clearance. Once the pan is off, it's a fairly easy job. Plastigage link:

https://www.auto-parts.shoppingguides.org/Plastigage.html