PDA

View Full Version : Rusty coolant

slider
03-15-2004, 06:52 PM
The coolant in my BJ-8 is very rusty in color. I replaced it last spring, but now looks terrible. Is this normal? I used a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water, but you'd never know it by looking at it. Can I effectively clean out the block without attaching one of those "Flush 'n Fill Kits" that asks you to cut the heater hose and attach a plastic fitting for your garden hose? Is there some additive I can use that may clean it and/or preven rusting? Thanx!

tahoe healey
03-15-2004, 09:37 PM
As a point of reference, I changed the coolant almost 2 years ago and it still looks nice and green. I've checked it for oil when I was thinking there may have been a problem with the head gasket (false alarm). There was a previous post on flushing quite a while ago that someone else might be able to lead you to.

stever
03-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Just another data point but my Healey's radiator fluid has been green - never brown or rusty. Unless I am mistaken the antifreeze itself should prevent rusting, shouldn't it?

Dave Russell
03-16-2004, 06:08 PM
Slider,
I'm not sure what to think. Antifreeze has rust inhibitors & water pump lubricant in it. The stuff usually stays green for years.

As far as flushing, I wouldn,t try to flush the block without disconnecting the radiator hoses from the engine. Maybe I would disconnect the heater hoses & flush it separately also. Otherwise, if the block IS full of junk flushing will just move it into the radiator & heater to cause more problems. You can flush the radiator separately from the block & maybe clean things a bit.

Remember that you can't do much flushing without first removing the thermostat.

If it isn't overheating it might be best to just drain & refill. Once you get into it there isn't any stopping point short of having a radiator shop remove & clean the radiator & flush the block.
D

Johnny
03-17-2004, 10:44 AM
You might try cleaning the block by first removing the heater hoses (remove the shutoff valve from the block), and radiator hoses. Also remove the thermostat, as Dave said. Shove a garden hose into the lower radiator hose fitting in the engine block and seal as best as possible. With water on full blast you should see the water rise and come out the heater hose openings and the upper radiator hose fitting. Leave in until clear water is seen. I'd reccomend parking somewhere in the grass as the rusty water will stain your driveway or garage severely.

Dave Russell
03-17-2004, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Johnny:
I'd recommend parking somewhere in the grass as the rusty water will stain your driveway or garage severely.<hr></blockquote>
Personal experience?
D
images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif

Mark Beiser
03-17-2004, 02:23 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dave Russell:

Personal experience?
D
images/icons/grin.gif images/icons/grin.gif <hr></blockquote>

In his sig picture, it looks like his drivway is painted, so yeah, maybe so! images/icons/wink.gif