PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump - '60 Sprite

athenssprite
04-03-2004, 10:30 AM
Hi All,

I have a '60 Bugeye that I am trying to get back on the road. It seems as if I am not getting enough fuel into the carbs. The fuel pump is not the original mechanical pump but an electric. It makes the normal ticking sound so assume it is working properly but I have not tested it. Would it still tick and not pump properly? Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave Russell
04-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Yes, it can tick & still not pump. If it is ticking but no fuel is being pumped, it is likely that a filter or line is obstructed somewhere or the vent in the tank cap is plugged.

Some pumps have filter screens in them that can get clogged. Some carbs have filter screens in the fuel inlet. Some fuel tanks have a filter screen inside on the pick up tube. There could be inline filters that are plugged.

Disconnect both sides of the pump & the line at the carbs, remove the gas cap & blow air through them to see if everything is clear. You should be able to blow air through the pump from the inlet to outlet direction but not the reverse direction. If the pump has screens check them.

While you're at it, put short hoses on the pump, place the hose ends in a can of kerosene, turn the pump on & see if it pumps. No need to check the pump screens if this test works.

If all of this checks out, the only thing left is the carb inlets or float valves.
D