PDA

View Full Version : Towing a Midget

Paul Johnson
03-14-2004, 09:51 PM
A tow dolly is not the most fun thing in the world, but will do just fine for your Midget. You'll likely hear lots of scare stories about destroying the gearbox unless you pull the driveshaft. It's easy enough to pull, but you're only going about 75 miles it seems, and that won't hurt a thing. The deal with ruination is that the rear wheels are turning, which turn the mainshaft, but since the countershaft is not turning, there is no splash oil feed to the main's bearings. On modern cars, 500 miles is considered safe.

76MGB
03-15-2004, 02:36 AM
I bought a 76 MGB and towed it home on a dolly for about 80 miles and had no problems.
Quentin

kawazar
03-15-2004, 04:38 AM
I am purchasing another Midget (1978) and am considering using a tow dolly from Uhaul. I was going to use a car trailer but they claim the rails of the trailer is too wide. Any suggestions? I will be towing about an hour away and the car has not moved since last Oct. but was used prior to that. I was considering the 6x12 enclosed trailer they have I just need to check the weight rating. I know if I pulled the bumpers off it would fit. Any hints on using the dolly would be appreciated.

kawazar
03-15-2004, 02:07 PM
So would I be safe to pull the driveshaft? I could just disconnect it from the differential and just leave it under the car right? Just tie it up with something?

aeronca65t
03-15-2004, 02:08 PM
I have a racing pal (who actually lives in NH, like you).
He tows his race Midget all over the place on an old U-Haul tow-dolly....always with the *rear* wheels on the dolly (and the steering wheel "locked"). Doesn't have to worry about the driveshaft turning.
He's towed down to Summit Pt., WV with me and up to Ontario with that setup. At least 2000 miles last year.

[ 03-15-2004: Message edited by: aeronca65t ]</p>

lawguy
03-15-2004, 02:51 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kawazar:
So would I be safe to pull the driveshaft? I could just disconnect it from the differential and just leave it under the car right? Just tie it up with something?<hr></blockquote>

When I worked at a car dealership, we used to do that all the time.

George Zeck
03-15-2004, 03:05 PM
I done some considerable research on the topic being my Sprite is in FLA and need to get to OH. In short, I wouldn't trust the flimsy covered trailed f/ U-Hall (although the sprite / mg's don't weigh much -- it's still a lot of weight for wood or light metal).

I'd play things safe and unhook the differential. It's relatively easy to do & un-do.

Because of my distance -- I am leaning towards hiring a transport company to bring it up north. Have quotes ~ $650 / $700. After gas costs, wear & tear, tow dolly rental and time off of work -- seems the prudent way to go.

Good luck.

graemlins/patriot.gif

[ 03-15-2004: Message edited by: George Zeck ]</p>

kawazar
03-16-2004, 04:00 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I never thought of putting the rear wheels on the dolly. Thanks!

bugimike
03-20-2004, 11:00 AM
I used a U-Haul trailer to bring my bugeye from N.J. to Fla. w/no problem. It fit on the trailer just fine (also the trailer afforded some extra strap-on space for those inevitable "extra parts" we spridgeteers seem to accumulate!)

kawazar
03-26-2004, 08:07 AM
Just wanted to follow up on how the move went. The tow dolly worked great. East to load, no problem towing. I left the driveshaft connected and had no problems. Thanks for the help.

msoylemez
04-25-2006, 12:49 PM
I just wanted to clarify something on an old thread. Just rented a Uhaul auto trailer (https://www.uhaul.com/guide/?equipment=autotransport) and wanted to make sure that it would roll on...the guys at Uhaul said it wouldn't, but someone on this thread says yes. Can you confirm?

Sorry to bring up an old thread...

capitalcitycars
04-25-2006, 12:56 PM
I towed a 76 Midget from Lancaster OH to Lansing MI in 9/2005 w/ no problems. I put the rear wheels on and locked the steering wheel.

kawazar
04-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I had no problem using the tow dolly from Uhaul. A friend and myself rolled it on and towed it for about an hour. We had no issues loading or unloading.

msoylemez
04-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Capitalcitycars, it sounds like you had an auto dolly, correct?

Do you know if an auto trailer (all 4 wheels up) will fit on (or is it too skinny for the rails)? Uhaul contends that it is...

jlaird
04-25-2006, 01:05 PM
Prob is but a 2x8 works well.

aeronca65t
04-25-2006, 01:06 PM
My race-Spridget will not fit properly on a normal 15' car trailer, width-wise.

I just bought a new trailer three weeks ago (I knew it wouldn't fit, but the fix is pretty easy....I just bolted planks inside the metal runners). The stock metal runners are 42" apart at the inner edge on my trailer.

On my car (with fairly wide tires), only about 1/3 of each tire is on the original metal runners...not good enough in my book.

Why not measure the track on your car and then check the dimensions of the trailer? (the rear is slightly narrower).

Matthew E. Herd
04-25-2006, 01:50 PM
My auto trailer, built by the same company as Nial's (but a 91 model, not a NEW one!), has 42" from inside to inside, and the car has about .5" spare on either side. I have inserts (steel) fabricated to allow us to put our Scag on it (zero turn mower). I expect that it should fit just fine, but you should measure first.

drooartz
04-25-2006, 02:18 PM
I wound up borrowing a flatbed when I towed my Bugeye home from San Diego to Salt Lake City (~700 miles). I was told the Bugeye should fit, but it would be close. I had a TR4 on one, and it was a pretty tight fit. The rails look like this:

\___/ \___/

With the TR4 the tires were right up to the bottom edge of the lips, but it fit fine. I'd guess that a Spridget might ride up the little lips a bit. I was too nervous, so found a local one to borrow. Good luck, and let us know if how it goes!

ChrisS
04-25-2006, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to clarify something on an old thread. Just rented a Uhaul auto trailer (https://www.uhaul.com/guide/?equipment=autotransport) and wanted to make sure that it would roll on...the guys at Uhaul said it wouldn't, but someone on this thread says yes. Can you confirm?

Sorry to bring up an old thread...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've towed a '73 Midget on a Uhaul auto transport trailer without major issue; it was tight but with someone to help guide me on the trailer it worked. The tires did hang over the inside of the rails. That being said, they have two different trailers, painted and galvanized. They have two different widths; I towed mine on a Galvanized trailer. The following is from their website

Must have a maximum outside-to-outside tire width of 79.25"
Note: outside tire width over 75" must use late-model U-Haul Auto Transport (identifiable by silver galvanized color).

So painted is 75 outside to outside, galvanized is 79.25. Get a painted one if you can.

I've also towed a '70 Midget and a '60 Bugeye in an open 6'x12' from them without issue. I prefer the open trailer.

One thing that needs to be mentioned for future readers of this thread is that you can only tow disc wheeled cars backwards on a dolly. The knock offs can (and have) loosen up going backwards.

capitalcitycars
04-25-2006, 06:58 PM
I used a tow dolly. I checked the measurements on the carrier and it was too small for a midget by about 4 inches.

tony barnhill
04-25-2006, 07:15 PM
I've never had a problem loading a Midget for folks on a U-Hal tow dolly....just gotta line it up right &amp; cinch those front tires down tight!

jlaird
04-25-2006, 07:19 PM
I towed from MI to SC about 1984 on a dolly. Easy, worked fine. Do not forget to unbolt the drive shaft and tie it up under the car so you don't loose trans oil.

ecurie_ecosse
04-26-2006, 09:44 AM
I brought my Midget from Alabama on a Uhual trailer.Itis tight,but we had no problems once we lined it up with the rails. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Stuart.

msoylemez
04-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Success!

Just completed hauling the bugeye to the fabricator and everything worked perfectly.

Thanks to ChrisS for bring the 2 different styles of Uhaul auto trailers to my attention. I ended up getting the painted (older style) hauler, and the inside to inside measurement of the lips of tracks were 36". The rear (smaller end) of the BE is 39", so it sat a little bit on the lips of the tracks, but just a touch, and once I ratcheted down the front tire webbings, it was very secure.

BTW, tire webbings are a good set up, as you are only using the tires to secure it down--not wierd hooks and contraptions that are supposed to hook around the front or rear end--which I just spent countless hours painting, polishing, etc, etc. Also, part of the reason the car is going to a fabricator is to correct my steering rack cross bar which was initially bent by the flat bed tow truck guy who used it as a bar to secure the car down on top of the truck...more reason I like the tire webbing!

Again, this was with the old style, orange painted Uhaul trailer. I do believe the new galvanized trailer (non-orange) will not be appropriate, as it is about 4" wider.

Thanks again for all of the input, and hope this thread helps folks with this predicament in the future.

Mustafa

capitalcitycars
04-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Has anybody tried towing a midget with a 5x8 Utility trailer? My towing vehicle is a Taurus wagon. I know the dolly works just curious about the trailer.