PDA

View Full Version : If I prime the oil pump without valve cover......

05-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Do I need to call out Hazmat or just use a bunch of rags. I have a 16-row oil cooler and auxiliary oil line and just want to get the oil flowing, what if I leave the valve cover off?

Ok, next question. If I suck all the old oil out of the oil cooler, and prime the pump, will I get the cooler to re-fill by just spinning the pump or should I figure some way to reload this thing? Or am I just be OCD again?

70herald
05-11-2008, 06:08 AM
Go ahead and pump, all you will get at the top is a nice little stream of oil, almost all of which will drain right back into the crankcase.
If the oil cooler has a thermostat has a thermostat it might not refill.

05-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Thanks, Ysreal.

DrEntropy
05-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Agree. It'll "dribble" from the rocker shaft a bit but not like running the engine with the lid off. I suspect you have no thermostatic valve in the cooler circuit so it ~should~ get filled too.

If you used a good assembly lube the whole "prime" thing is kinda OCD, IMO. :smirk:

05-11-2008, 08:40 AM
is kinda OCD

OCD can be a curse. I count window panes, telephone poles, and birds on a wire. A curse indeed.

DrEntropy
05-11-2008, 09:27 AM
It's said Houdini could count up to fifty differently shaped objects on a tray with only a glance... you should be good at that by now, too!

05-11-2008, 05:10 PM
OCD <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> ADD. Couple that with a really high IQ and a recipe for disaster. Throw in an addictive personality.

IQ ~ Internet Quotient

billspit
05-12-2008, 08:33 AM
OCD <span style="font-weight: bold">and</span> ADD. Couple that with a really high IQ and a recipe for disaster. Throw in an addictive personality.

I seem to getting to becoming paranoid, but it could be OCD. Maybe why I can't get my engine together.

IanF
05-12-2008, 08:38 AM
(Oops... somehow ended up posting in the wrong thread... :nonod: )