PDA

View Full Version : Now how exactly do I make a drive dog to prime oil

05-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I want to make some kind of drive dog to engage my oil pump and spin it backward to prime the system. (As I have an oil cooler and axillary oil line, I need to get the blood flowing before I proceed on.) I thought someone said something about a wooden dowel but that seems to me to be a bit fragile. How about a cheap socket extension that I cut out a slot to engage and hook it to my drill? Run counterclockwise, right?

DNK
05-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Bill, With all thank yous to my friend Rod. here is what he did.

https://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/donkelly23/OilPumpPrimer.jpg

Brosky
05-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Bill,

It will need to turn the same direction as the distributor, which as you say is CCW.

70herald
05-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Don't use a wooden rod, when the pressure starts to rise it will most definitely break. I used a long steel rod, and ground matching flats on one end with an angle grinder.
When you prime it make sure you have a good grip on the drill when the pressure goes up it will create quite allot of torque.

Trick6
05-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Very clever looking tool for priming the pump. However I do remember 5 years ago calling someone in CA and being told that squirting oil directly over the pump will do the job and it did the job. You have to remove a plug on the side to expose the pump. Any regular oil squirt can worked. I lost the prime when I had the pan down checking the bearings. After work like that, I always spin the motor without the spark plugs check to check for oil pressure. A lot of motors have been damaged because of this. I panicked because there was no pressure. But this was the easy and very accessible fix. I did not have to remove the dizzy and spin the pump. Just to let you know there is another way to prime the oil pump.

JFS
05-11-2008, 05:02 PM
We cut of the handle of an old spade screwdriver and slipped it into the drill. It worked fine. As previously stated, have a solid grip on the drill because the pressure really hits it.

05-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I slotted a cheap 5/16" deep socket on the business end (more meat) and stuck a long Allen wrench in the other end to attach to my drill. My engine has been sitting up so long that I just want some erl coating things.

Tinkerman
05-11-2008, 05:55 PM
OK, dumb question #91. Should I do this with my tractor engine?

TR 3A four cylinder, total rebuild on the engine.

Thanks, Tinkerman

donbmw
05-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Any engine should be preoiled before start.

Don