PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR-3B Fuel Pump

Vaark01
05-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I would appreciate some advice on how to change the fuel pump on my TR-3B. It's a TCF with the TR-4 Engine.

I have tried everything possible to get a wrench on the rear nut (facing the firewall) and just can't figure out how to do it. There just isn't any room. It doesn't look like I can get to it from the bottom either.

I sure would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Paul

TR3driver
05-09-2008, 05:29 PM
I've found two things that work for me; one is a 1/4" drive socket with a short 'wobble' extension, the other is a stubby, flat GearWrench.

That's on my various 3A's, but I don't see why a 3B would be any different.

Vaark01
05-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks. I don't have either but will try to buy them tomorrow. Best as I can tell, the two nuts are 1/2 inch.

Am I correct?

Do you get to it from the top, or do you have to go underneath?

TR3driver
05-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Yup, 1/2" is correct. Did it from up top, but I may have had to move something out of the way. Don't recall what now ... maybe that's why I moved the MSD box ?

Vaark01
05-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks. I'll give it another try in the morning.

The oil pressure line is attached to that bolt. The top of the fuel pump just doesn't seem to give much room to get a wrench on the nut.

I sure hope I can fine the tools you mentioned and get it off.

Thanks again for the advice.

Vaark01
05-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks. I'll give it another try in the morning.

The oil pressure line is attached to that bolt. The top of the fuel pump just doesn't seem to give much room to get a wrench on the nut.

I sure hope I can fine the tools you mentioned and get it off.

Thanks again for the advice.

Don Elliott
05-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey ! These cars were designed by men, assembled by men and driven by men and ladies. So these cars can be taken apart by a capable person like yourself. That's the pleasure of working on a TR. You have the whole weekend to solve the puzzle they created 55 years ago. Doesn't this make you feel like you are an archeologist ? The reward comes Monday morning when the job is done, when the weekend is over and it's starting to rain.

TR3driver
05-09-2008, 07:15 PM
These cars were designed by men, assembled by men and driven by men and ladies. So these cars can be taken apart by a capable person like yourself.All true enough. But sometimes the procedure starts with "remove the body" ... :jester:

TR4nut
05-09-2008, 07:18 PM
From Justin Wagner's website, here is a picture of a workable setup:

https://www.jmwagnersales.com/fpit.jpg

Randy

TR3driver
05-09-2008, 07:19 PM
I sure hope I can fine the tools you mentioned and get it off.Sears at least used to sell GearWrench stuff; right alongside their Craftsman clones. The Crafstman was more expensive, due to the Sears lifetime guarantee.

Be warned however that not all clones are the same. In particular, the cheap ones from HF are noticeably thicker and clunkier; won't fit/work in places that the genuine GearWrench ones will. My local FLAPS (full line auto parts store) also carries GearWrench brand.

Geo Hahn
05-09-2008, 08:05 PM
I use a 1/4" wobble extension (maybe about 4" long?) from Harbor Freight and my usual Craftsman 1/4" drive (1/2")socket.

The Harbor extension came in a set of wobble extensions. Cheap but effective.

Putting it back together is a little easier as you start with that rear bolt and can cant the pump body a bit to get some working room to start the bolt.

Don Elliott
05-09-2008, 09:55 PM
For a few tight spaces, I took an open-end wrench and cut it in two. Then I ground the cut edges round so they felt more comfortable. Now I have two short open-ends. One is 1/2" and the other is 9/16". I use these where needed and where the space is limited. It didn't cost me a penny because I had about 4 such open ends.

Vaark01
05-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks everyone,

I finally replaced my fuel pump today. I could never have done it without your advice. This was the toughest project I have ever faced.

I spent four hours driving around NOVA looking for a 1/2 inch u-joint socket. Finally found one at Sears. Several hours later, my new fuel pump is on and the car runs great.

I sincerely appreciate your advice. You guys are great.

Thanks again and take care.

Vaark01

Brosky
05-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the Forum, Vaark01.

Don't be a stranger after this project is behind you.

Vaark01
05-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Your advice was right on target. I sincerely appreciate it. This was a project I don't want to repeat.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

Geo Hahn
05-11-2008, 10:29 AM
...This was a project I don't want to repeat...

But if you insist on driving the car then you likely will get to do it again someday. The good news is that it will be much easier next time.

The first time you do anything on a particular car takes a lot longer than the second, third or fourth time around.