PDA

View Full Version : Midget Speedo

Dr_EluSivE
02-18-2004, 01:22 PM
My last spare Midget Speedometer is reading all crazy now so i need to find a replacement and i have been looking at replacing it with an autometer drop in gauge. They are the same exact size so i would not have to cut anything and i am hoping the autometer will work longer than a year or two (unlike the smiths) Im not sure whats wrong with mine but i have put 3 speedos and a cable on this car and they keep going bad, im tired of it. What i need to know is how big both ends of the cable are, and also what kind of setup the datsun transmission uses as i will move to a 5 speed when i have the time and money to convert. I may go with an electric model but the cable speedos are a little cheaper. Whats your opinion on this plan?

Dr.

tony barnhill
02-18-2004, 05:29 PM
If you've replaced all those parts with new parts, you have another problem & putting a different speedo in won'ty solve it....question to ask is: What's causing all those speedo's/cables to go bad? Have you looked at your gears in tranny? Are you supposed to have an angle drive on either or both ends cable?

Dr_EluSivE
02-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Im not sure how its supposed to be. i had a couple spares laying around with lots of miles on them so i havent ever really started with a new speedo head. One of them the needle fell off, one was really jumpy, and the current one reads about 20mph too fast. The cable i replaced looked good and the one i put in is identical to the one i took out. Doesnt mean its the right one though. As for the tranny gear, i dont recall ever looking at it. When i swapped speedos the ones i put in worked for a while, and then stopped. I guess i should research this problem further. I was just figuring my 30 year old gauges are worn out.

Dr.

piman
02-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Hello Dr E,
most speedo troubles are due to cables, especially if the needle jumps.
Reference the 20mph too fast, it is probably the wrong unit. Smiths speedos have a number on the dial at the bottom giving the cable revolutions per mile.

Alec graemlins/thirsty.gif