PDA

View Full Version : TR6 Talking about seats - how about for a TR6

tdskip
05-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Corbeau or Miata options?

Anyone stock mounting kits for Miata seats?

Does the universal mount from Corbeau work in a TR6?

What do you think guys?

DNK
05-06-2008, 11:18 AM
In your area there a re a couple of Mazda parts resellers. Go with Miata. Plenty of tracks kits on the net.
Did you get my PM?

tdskip
05-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I was leaning towards the Miata seats for the TR6. Availability and cost both seem to be pretty good.

No PM yet, hmmm...

BobbyD
05-06-2008, 12:11 PM
There's a thread on the Triumph & 6-Pack Mail Lists about producing brackets for a TR6. The two guys doing this are vintage racers: Joe Alexander and Jack Drews. Here's the email:

"The recent activity on this subject seems to beg for a bracket design, so more Miata seats can be adapted to the TR6s...and I presume TR4s, too.

There's a couple of retired John Deere manufacturing guys who do this kind of thing. One is 'Uncle Jack'. He has a very nice TR6 with Miata Seats. I talked to him today and asked him if he would be interested in this as a project.
It seems very worthwhile for the Triumph Community. He was enthusiastic about the idea

Jack can design it based on what he has now and improve further on it. My son can finalize the drawings for best manufacturability, then schedule for production on CNC equipment. They likely could produce 25-50 sets very economically....if there is enough advance interest.

Jack is off to New York for a wedding, but will return shortly. NFI on my part. I just think it is a good idea.

Who's interested? I'll copy Jack here, so include a reply to Jack."

DNK
05-06-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm interested in them for both my 6 and my 8

Check to see if your mailbox is full. Basil has cut back on the # of PM's

tdskip
05-06-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm interested as well Bob.

tdskip
05-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Don - just cleared a bunch of messages to get back under 25. You may need to resend (sorry).

Brosky
05-06-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm interested, if only to buy them now at a good price for a future project.

roofman
05-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Check Ebay UK seller name simonabh that is whom I got mine from.

BobbyD
05-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Guys,

The person collecting orders for production is Joe Alexander and his email is N197TR4@cs.com

If you're interested please contact him directly for ordering and pricing.

Thanks

bobh
05-06-2008, 05:03 PM
I'll buy 2 sets.

I contacted Simon in January of this year. I think the price of his brackets coupled with the packing anf shipping is pretty high. 63.99 GBP = $126.270 USD

Simon's response to my request for pricing;
"The brackets are 29.99 and the post is 32.50 plus 1.50 for packing. They normally arrive 3 days later. I havnt found a cheaper courier by land or air."

I'm guessing the shipping cost will probably cover 2 or 3 sets of brackets which would lower the total price if several people want to make a group purchase.

IF so 3 sets of brackets (3(29.99) + 32.50 + 1.5))/3 x 1.97328 = $81.54 per set

I'd rather buy American even when it's to install Jap seats in a Brit car. Or maybe try to make my own from square and rectangular tubing.

roofman
05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
When I bought mine from Simon, he had a few sets with a friend in Florida who shipped them in the US.
I tried making my own brackets also, but the bottom of the Miata seat is a bowl shape and not exactly easy to do with standard squre tubing and angle iron without raising the seat too high. The Miata seat even with simons brackets is approx. an inch or so higher than the stock seat, so if you are tall or thick it's a little tight with a 15" steering wheel for some of us robust folks.
Another factor is how important is it to you that they bolt into the same tr6 mounting holes or not. I focused on this and probably didn't need to as my car was not stock anyway.

Brosky
05-06-2008, 06:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]so if you are tall or thick[/QUOTE]

Oh-oh!!

I qualify for both, especially the :thick" part!!

mrv8q
05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Joe Alexander is the fine fellow who makes the carb heatshields, among other things, and I think Uncle Jack Drews makes the upgraded stub axles that TRF sells. Fine products, all; I'm looking forward to this new development!

BobbyD
05-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Kevin,
BINGO........ you nailed both of these guys and I've bought their product.....all of such high quality that the Big 3 now sells what they make. I'd expect the Miata brackets to be more of the same. Joe's site is here https://www.the-vintage-racer.com/ while Jack and his son have their site here https://www.tonydrews.com/ At the very least check out Tony's roll over crash video here https://www.tonydrews.com/Videos/TonyVideos.htm