PDA

View Full Version : Outside mirrors

fenwicker
11-30-2003, 07:36 PM
Ok, so now the tach problem is solved and the fender question is answered. Next up. When I bought the car there were no outside mirrors, no visable cover up of any holes, nothing. Well I would like to install some and stay close to orginal, were they on the fenders or doors? I have seen them both ways in photos. Also where can I find some measurements as to locating them on the car? Thanks again for the help so far.

Bugeye58
11-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Well, this is a toughie, as there were nearly as many variations on mirrors, as there were cars. As a general rule, the Euro market had the fender mounted mirrors, whereas the cars in the States got door mounts. Vicky Brit and Moss both sell mirrors that are virtual clones of the originals, for both styles.
As for mounting locations, I would guess you can put them wherever you get the best view, and still be considered authentic. I have them both ways on different vehicles, and prefer the fender mounts, but, that's a personal observation. A lot of the mirrors here were installed at the dealership, and it looks as though every dealer had their own guidelines for placement. If you want, I'll take measurements from three or four different ones, and let you sort it out to your own satisfaction.
Jeff

fenwicker
11-30-2003, 08:25 PM
That would be great at least I'd have a place to start, I was leaning toward to fender mounts.

Bugeye58
11-30-2003, 08:48 PM
Okay, I'll measure the two fender mount cars I have handy tomorrow, and post back in the afternoon.
Jeff

Trevor Jessie
12-01-2003, 01:43 PM
If you do opt for door mount, be carful that they don't interfer with the vent window's operation.

PS I think the fender mounts look much better, but they didn't prove too useful, esp with vibration.

[ 12-01-2003: Message edited by: Trevor Jessie ]</p>

Bugeye58
12-01-2003, 06:43 PM
Fenwicker, measuring from the rear edge of the fender, the center point of the mirror base is 31" forward. Measuring from the inner edge of the fender, where it rolls down to the bonnet, and allowing the tape to conform to the shape of the fender, It's 7 5/8" to the centerline of the base. Both cars I measured were within a whisker of each other. I've never noticed any undue vibration with the fender mount mirrors. I think the door mounts are prone to cracking the door skin at the mounting holes, and for me, being a short guy, they are sometimes difficult to see out of. Get some duct tape, and tape a mirror on the fender, sit in the car, and see what you think. Do the same with a door mirror. Please remove the duct tape prior to final installation.
Next question?
Jeff

spritenut
12-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Fender mounted mirrors do look sharp. But they are pretty much useless on the road. They are too far forward to make much good. (in my opinion when I had them on my fenders) As a rule of thumb, the mirrors should be mounted over the center line of the front wheels at the top of the fender.
I went back to a door mounted mirror for 2 reasons.
1) anytime anyone walked past the fender, they would knock it out of adjustment and you need an assistant to adjust it for you.
2) I can see what's behind me in a door mounted mirror.
On my Bugeye I have a windshield post mounted mirror. All other Sprites use a door mirror.
Do watch the vent window and sit in the car while holding the mirror so it is high enough before you drill any holes.

Yeoman
05-29-2004, 10:03 AM
Jeff, are you confident that the measurements are from a factory installed mirror? Just curious. I've had a fender mirror and one reason I haven't installed it because I'm not sure where it was meant to go.

Thanks.

Bugeye58
05-31-2004, 07:15 PM
I have no idea if these fender mirrors were factory installed or not. But, the '63 came from California, and the '64 is a Michigan car, and they are virtually identical in placement, so I'm going to assume that even if they were installed at the dealership, they were installed to some kind of a factory guideline. But, we all know about assumptions.
Jeff