PDA

View Full Version : powder coat wire wheels??

brent615
04-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I have searched teh forum going back almost a year and found mention of powder coating everything except for wire wheels. Did I miss it? Is there a reason not to powder coat? Seems like a more long term solution than paint?

Words of wisdom welcome!

DNK
04-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Some PC'ers won't do wheels as it covers cracks
Wire wheels, you would break the PC'ing when you adjust them. It might also break on harsh bumps on the spokes.

kodanja
04-26-2008, 07:49 PM
I agree with Don, ya may be better off wire brushing then spray painting...

or go chrome

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/DSC01552.jpg

Brosky
04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Brent,

My buddy Bob of Cape Cod Powder Coating will do steel wheels only after blasting and a very close inspection. he told me that he wouldn't do wires due to reasons mentioned above.

Blast and silver paint may be best.

Tom74TR6
04-26-2008, 09:41 PM
I am currently blasting my steel wheels and it is not a quick job, it can't be any easier doing wire wheels. I would suspect that the spokes would need to be removed to get complete coverage on all the surfaces.
Tom

Mkutz
04-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Not to mention costs. I talked to a vendor at Carlisle a few years ago about powder coating my TR3's 48 spokes. For the price of trueing, replacing busted spokes, inspecting for cracks, and ultimately powder coating, the price was more than brand new 60 spoke Daytons. I now have new Daytons!

angelfj1
04-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Brent: If you would be satisfied with a shiny metal finish on the spokes, I would suggest SS. You could always have the wheels & hubs pc'd or painted any colour you want and the spokes would be impervious to almost anything. I saw a cobra done with dull gray wheels & hubs and shiny SS spokes. Looked real nice. I have a photo somewhere and will try to find it.

fja

brent615
04-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone. I have some painted wheels already but they need to be cleaned and repainted. I was think PC'ing was a more long term solution but I hadn't thought about it hiding cracks. I'll stick with teh old fashion paint for now until my budget might permit chrome.

tony barnhill
04-27-2008, 04:18 PM
To chrome or powder coat, the wire wheel needs to be completely disassembled & each individual spoke done as a separate piece & then the wheel reassembled.