PDA

View Full Version : Sound Deadning Material TR 2 and 3's

Tinkerman
04-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Based on everything I read, there is supposed to be sound deadning material on the front of the timing chain cover. Not sure I have ever seen any. Anyone out there familiar with it. Like what is it and where do I get it?

Your help appreciated, Tinkerman.

martx-5
04-25-2008, 05:08 PM
I seen TR's with it, and without it. I really don't know if they all came from the factory with it or not. My timeing cover didn't have it on there, but I remember a TR3 and TR4 I had years ago that did have it on there.

It sort of looks like some sort of asbestos slurry that was smeared on...all bumpy and lumpy. :crazy: Why would you want to put that stuff back on there??

Maybe Don Elliot knows if they deduct at the concours for no sound deadening on your timeing case cover???

Don Elliott
04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Concours judges can't see down there to check. Mine came with it on from new. I removed it when I did my restoration from 1987 to 1990. I had my timing chain cover painted and didn't put any new "stuff" on. It looks somewhat like "gravel guard" that some people used about 10 - 15 years ago on the outer sills or rockers below their doors and also under their fenders. But it was, as Art says, it is more "bumpy and lumpy" than "gravel guard".

I never felt that there was any increase in the noise level without it. I suppose that it was to reduce the noise of a loose timing chain when the tensioner gets weak or worn. But then I change the tensioner for my timing belt about every 30,000 to 45,000 miles.

Geo Hahn
04-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Neither of mine have it -- one is original so never had it, the other was so neglected I cannot imagine anyone took the trouble to remove it.

As I have mentioned before, an ex-ST employee described it as looking like the last of a batch of Bondo applied with a wooden spoon by someone wearing a blindfold.

PeterK
04-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Here is a NOS timing cover complete with the oatmeal:
https://mysite.verizon.net/kentech0822/triumph/tr4a_timing_cover_nos.jpg

Tinkerman
04-26-2008, 06:42 AM
Oatmeal is right, I'm not going to mess with it!

Thanks all, Tinkerman

NickMorgan
04-26-2008, 06:57 AM
Most models of Triumphs came with this gloop on the timing chain cover. Over time it dries up and lifts off. Better off without it IMO.

angelfj1
04-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Fresh oatmeal applied by Brian. I hear he has a secret recipe and it never falls off.
:yesnod:

https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/angelfj/TR-3A%20Project/oatmeal-3-1.jpg