PDA

View Full Version : And even one more oil questions

billspit
04-24-2008, 04:20 PM
This is getting very frustrating. I went to a good NAPA store nearby checking out their oil. They had two quarts of a Valvoline diesel oil (Fleet Plus) that was rated SJ. The guy said they had another case, found it and opened it up. This oil is in a different colored container and is rated SL. Oh well.

They have Valvoline VR1 racing oil 20-50. It has the energy symbol and is rated SM!! I thought this oil would have no rating on it. Is it OK to use this oil for breaking in a new engine?

I've seen people referring to Shell Rotella Triple T as being OK. I saw Rotella T with "triple protection" on the label. Is this the same? It also is rated SM. Any comments?

I guess ultimately I have found a partial solution. A local racing shop can get the Joe Gibbs Racing break in oil, which is fine for the first coupple of oil changes. That is get expensive after that. What are recommendations for later changes? I've heard from folks like Hap Waldrop that you don't really need to worry that much about the oil once the engine is broken in.

RonMacPherson
04-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Go to your friendly Motorcycle shop and get Yamaha oil, Yamalube.

Works great...

Brosky
04-24-2008, 08:23 PM
I just bought three gallons of Rotella Triple T (same as you said above) and that is what the cam manufacturer and machine shop recommends until broken in. When is it broken in, you ask? When it stops oil consumption and then I'll switch to a synthetic like the new QS or Valvoline and start these discussions all over again.

I'm only running for twenty (20) minutes on the first run in and then change, then 600-800 miles on the second change. If no oil consumption at that point, I'll switch to synthetic.