PDA

View Full Version : More of what is under your paint

TR6oldtimer
04-24-2008, 01:27 PM
While working to remove paint from the rear valance, drats, I found body filler! DPO I thought, then remembered it was me who had that area repaired in the late '70s. I hate working with filler, thankfully it is an are mostly hidden by the bumpers.

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb247/tr6oldtimer/Rust%20Repair/th_P4230010_edited.jpg (https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb247/tr6oldtimer/Rust%20Repair/P4230010_edited.jpg)
(Click to in large)

kodanja
04-24-2008, 01:30 PM
yulk

jjbunn
04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
I've never understood why people are so aghast at the presence of filler. For purists with deep pockets and welding skills, it's obviously better to replace the panel, but for the rest of us, what else are we going to do but use filler, which does the job quite nicely?

TR6oldtimer
04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Julian, I have no problem with filler applied in a reasonable fashion and have used it in my restoration. What ticked me off is I did not remember it was there, and now having to apply new and contour it just upset my painting plan.

martx-5
04-24-2008, 03:37 PM
When doing the body on my TR3, I discovered bondo up to 3/8" thick in some areas. Some hammer and dolly work can reduce the amount of filler needed. I used lead in many areas that I felt there might be chipping, such as along edges, and wherever I welded two sections together. All the other places I used plastic filler, as it is very easy to use.

Due to the fact that slathering on the bondo is very easy and less time consuming then proper hammer and dolly work, that is the results that are often seen...thick slabs of the stuff. As TR6oldtimer said, there is nothing wrong with using plastic filler, just so long as it's used in moderation. Even new panels will require some work, and oftens times a skim coat of filler is neccesary in some areas.

Edit: Talk about upsetting a paint plan!! I was going to just take my TR3 apart and give the body a paint job, because I hated the color that it was. No big deal, right? Well, one thing lead to another, and a different body later along with a total nut and bolt restoration, I may have this car on the road this summer...after about fifteen years. :wall:

Geo Hahn
04-24-2008, 04:17 PM
I recall my first TR3 -- a '58 I paid $200 for. I basically sculpted a new rear end out of Bondo -- unbelievable thinking back on it -- then got a $29.99 Earl Scheib paint job. The car really did look fantastic.

My apologies to whomever may have that car today -- though likely it went to the crusher years ago.

jjbunn
04-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Julian, I have no problem with filler applied in a reasonable fashion and have used it in my restoration. What ticked me off is I did not remember it was there, and now having to apply new and contour it just upset my painting plan.

Understood! Your post just prompted my more general question :smirk: Perhaps it's less strong in the Triumph forum, but I got the impression when I was over in the MG forum that if I let on that I'd used filler on the GT (which I did in moderation), I'd have been hung, drawn and quartered!

DrEntropy
04-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Naaah! Just stared at sternly for a tick, Julian. :smile:

DougF
04-24-2008, 06:18 PM
If you have never used it, try Icing by USC. Great stuff to work with as long as you sand it within 48 hours or so.
Minimal shrinkage.