PDA

View Full Version : TR6 TR6 belt change

TexasKnucklehead
04-15-2008, 12:08 AM
I have a 70amp alternator to replace my failing original one, and everything is almost perfect, but since the pully is slightly less wide (the belt rides higher) and the pivot point is slightly different, I need to change to a longer belt. It's only been a year since I last changed the belt, and my knuckles have healed, but all the memories have not faded. Does anyone know any tricks for getting the belt on/off? My car is set up for A/C, so I have two crank pulleys; one on either side of the cross member. Neither gap is as wide as the belt.

I remember getting the new belt on after several hours of trying alternate methods, but don't remember what worked.

-Also, is the "W" lug where the "alternator warning lamp" wire gets connected?

04-15-2008, 05:28 AM
I've posted this before, the whole engine/tranny unit has the ability to slide back or forth a few millimeters (oops, fractions of an inch) by supporting the engine with a jack, loosening the front mounts and tranny mounts (both have slotted holes) and using a pry bar (preferably wood) and pushing the unit back. (The drive shaft is splined so it will telescope). Retighten and, voila, you now have adequate room to skinny a belt through without too much effort.

BobbyD
04-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I just installed new engine mounts and when re-installing the engine & tranny, we positioned the engine as far back on the mounts as possible. I probably gained 1/4 - 3/8" and now the fan belt clears both the steering rack and the cross member.

Short of installing new mounts, you're other option is to loosen the existing ones and jack the engine up until you get clearance.

Norton47
04-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I wondered about this when I was installing my engine. I could just barely squeeze the belt between the cross bar and the pulley. I was thinking this could be a real issue on the road if the belt broke and one had to install a new one.
Now I know.

RomanH
04-15-2008, 11:07 PM
but since the pully is slightly less wide (the belt rides higher)

You should go to your local alternator shop and have them swap out that pulley for a proper diameter one that will accept a 1/2" wide belt. Running a wide belt in a narrow pulley will decrease the belt life and grip on the pulley.

davidk
04-15-2008, 11:16 PM
I also have the double pulley. I had to remove the cross brace to get clearance. You don't have to completely remove it. Just remove the bolts and shift it out of the way enough to get the belt on.