PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Knob Layout

CCURTISS
03-28-2008, 08:44 PM
OK, I took off all of my old dash knobs and did not label which one goes to what and it is time to put the new knobs on.

Does anyone have a picture of what knob is what or can you tell me right to left top to bottom?

https://curtiss.biz/albums/album04/CIMG0725.sized.jpg

Geo Hahn
03-28-2008, 08:58 PM
On your car, top to bottom, I think those 3 center knobs are: panel, wiper, side/head.

Order changed on later cars when the panel switch became a rheostat.

MGTF1250Dave
03-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Aloha,

I concur with Geo.

CCURTISS
03-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks, that seems to be correct.

angelfj1
03-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Curtis: I shot this pic at Gaydon, UK (BMIHT Museum) last month. This is a very original 3A. Note: some say that the correct choke knob should say only, "CHOKE" and not
CHOKE
PULL

But I have seen both versions.

Good luck.

https://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q159/angelfj/intrument_cluster_BMIHT_TR-3A-sml.jpg

TFR
03-29-2008, 06:52 PM
I hope I'm reading the above post correctly about knob location and the picture. (picture taken in the UK)
It looks as though this is the standard knob location for Tr3's. However I did notice that the gauges are ordered in drive side dependend locations. i.e. oil and temp towards the driver side.
True?

Geo Hahn
03-29-2008, 08:19 PM
True. In fact you have to interpolate some of the wiring diagrams in the factory manuals as these typically present the gauges as shown above on a RHD car, i.e. the most important gauges (press olio and temp) are closest to the driver.

Of course the big gauges also change position by continent and by year -- early cars had the speedo to the outside (whether LHD or RHD) and later it was switched with the tach so the navigator could get a better look at the speed & odo.

TR3driver
03-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Actually, many of the factory wiring diagrams are flat wrong as to gauge location. "Practical Hints" 4th ed, for example, shows the fuel gauge wires connected to the temperature gauge (as identified). While the 6th edition was "corrected" to show the fuel gauge on the bottom.

angelfj1
03-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Yes the gauges are correct for a home market TR3A. The knobs were the same for home market(RHD) and export(LHD)