PDA

View Full Version : Wedge OK, lets do some TR8 Guess-tamating

PATR8
03-23-2008, 10:37 PM
https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/215-BUICK...tem180226038371 (https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/215-BUICK-OEM-OLDS-JETFIRE-TURBO-ROVER-MGB-TR8-HOT-ROD_W0QQitemZ180226038371QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 80226038371)

What kind of horse power gain does one think you could gain from this turbo? I beleive on the Buick or Olds (not sure which one offered it) it was a 30 HP gain. What would one have to do to prep your car for it and how would you ever know if the turbo was ok to begin with?

When I first bought my 8 a local had one and he was practically giving me one and I wanted nothing to do with it. Now it seeems like a cool idea/project. I know nothign about turbos so I thought it might me a cool subject to beat around some

Mickey Richaud
03-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Saw that the other day, and went, "Hmmmm..." also. HP gain? Not a clue, but it would be fun.

If your engine were stock (or lower) compression, and if all internal parts were new, it would be neat to try it.

Or, if your engine were almost toast, it might be fun to bolt it up and kill it outright! :wink:

As for the condition of the turbo, I'm sure it would have to be dismantled and rebuilt. Bearings, seals, etc. And I'm not sure about bonnet clearance.

Whatever the case, it would be a lot of work, but a definite oddity at the car shows. If I had the time and inclination, I'd be all over it!

Mickey

tr8todd
03-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Ian Wilson is running around 700 turboed HP thru a stock 3.5 liter bottom end down in Australia. He builds normally aspirated race engines that put out around 550. He told me that they can't kill the motor, but everything else keeps breaking. It's in a car set up for drag racing. I suspect it was built as an engineering experiment. So I guess that means you could bolt it on and go. I just saw a 61 Olds F85 at the scrap yard this morning. Couldn't get the hood fully open, but the 215 engine was still there. I couldn't tell what it had for a carb. I could only see a huge orange air cleaner assembly as I peeked under the narrow gap between fender and hood. Yard attendant said someone was interested in buying the whole car.