PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A TR3 Transmission Tunnel Sealant

CCURTISS
03-13-2008, 09:18 AM
I have my TR3 transmission tunnel out of the car and will be re-installing it shortly, what is everyone using as the sealant around the metal tunnel to the car?

TR3driver
03-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I bought a tube of latex caulk/adhesive from Home Depot last time (fits in my caulking gun). Worked well for me, I'll use it again. Easier IMO than messing with rubber strips.

CCURTISS
03-13-2008, 10:29 AM
I was thinking of doing that but I was a little worried about how hard it would be to remove at a later date if I ever had to take it out again. I am guessing that is what I will end up doing.

Thanks,

PeterK
03-13-2008, 10:39 AM
I used a kit for a TR4-6 from TRF. Worked well.

Recently I came on a great tip for reinstalling the cover.

When I did mine, I wrestled it trying to get the bolts to line up with the captured nuts in the floor. The trick is to use longer bolts threaded UP through the captured nut from the bottom. This gives you a stud-type arrangement making it easier to deflect the holes in the cover over the studs. Then use washers and nuts from the top to hold it down.

Moseso
03-13-2008, 10:57 AM
I used a kit for a TR4-6 from TRF. Worked well.

Recently I came on a great tip for reinstalling the cover.

When I did mine, I wrestled it trying to get the bolts to line up with the captured nuts in the floor. The trick is to use longer bolts threaded UP through the captured nut from the bottom. This gives you a stud-type arrangement making it easier to deflect the holes in the cover over the studs. Then use washers and nuts from the top to hold it down.

What a nifty idea!

Glad to hear that the TR4 kit works. I've been thinking about that experiment, and I'm glad to know I won't be the first to attempt it.

angelfj1
03-13-2008, 03:00 PM
You can buy silicone rubber based "rope caulk" at the Home Despot. You want something that doesn't set up or harden.

TR3driver
03-13-2008, 06:22 PM
I was thinking of doing that but I was a little worried about how hard it would be to remove at a later date if I ever had to take it out again.Came right out for me. Either it's not that good an adhesive, or I didn't get the oil cleaned off enough, or possibly the surface was contaminated with DOT 5.

mrv8q
03-13-2008, 08:26 PM
FWIW, I used closed cell foam tape, as used for insulating around door, etc.

Just as an aside, you might go back a couple years in the posts, if you have the time. It's amazing what you don't know you don't know, and the answers will be there. (Sorry, shades of D. Rumsfeld). I bought a TR6 a while back, and spent a couple evenings just powering thru old threads. Learned a lot, and very entertaining!