PDA

View Full Version : TR2/3/3A Accelerator Pedal Question TR3A

Tinkerman
03-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Finally got a decent accelerator pedal assembly. Would like to take it apart and put new bushings in but have run into a disapearing pin.
I thought that there were three pins that hold it all together. I can find two but not the third. You can see on the picture where I have bead blasted the connector. It is clean as a whistle but still no evidence of a pin. I do see some evidence of threads, I think. Is that connector threaded on at that point?

Your thoughts, as usual, greatly appreciated.

Tinkerman

Don Elliott
03-08-2008, 01:30 PM
My spare parts catalog is from Moss, UK. It shows two pins (DS1312) plus a split pin or cotter pin (GHF331). The two straight pins go in the piece as per your photo and at the other end to hold the lever assy (106753).

Look closely again at the part in your photo. Isn't that the end of a pin we can barely see ?

The catalog also says "The complete pedal assy from TR3A TS29821 and TR4/4A can be fitted to service TR2/3/3As prior to TS29820." My 1958 TR3A (TS 27489 LO) has both these pins as does the late TR3A (TS 81551 L) that I restored.

Tinkerman
03-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Yep you can see the pin that holds the big end of the connector to the accelerator rod. I can take that pin out but cannot slide the bushing over the end, that whole connector has to come off so that I can change out the bushing.

Tinkerman

pa297pass
03-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Tinkerman:

On my 1962 TR4, the part you have sandblasted is not a connector. It is just a bushing that is pinned to the shaft and slides off. Here is a picture I just took of mine disassembled:

https://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p103/pa297pass/Throttle_Pedal.jpg

If the shaft is bent it will be difficult to slide this bushing off ... I destroyed my original trying to take it apart, and had to search out another whole assembly. The shaft gets bent (at least on a TR4), when you pull the engine and trans out of the car without removing the throttle pedal assembly.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Matt

Tinkerman
03-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Wow Matt, you just made the whole world light up. I now understand what I have and what I need to do. Fortunatly I have a straight shaft so it should work. Are you planning to paint the assembly?

Thanks a bunch, Tinkerman

pa297pass
03-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Tinkerman, glad I could help.

I am just waiting for it to warm up a bit before I repaint and reassemble these parts.

Of course with the way this winter is going, that should be around July! <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

Matt