PDA

View Full Version : intalling soft top

ichthos
03-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Hello,
I am still a ways off from installing my soft top since I am still trying to allign the windows and windsheild frame. Since my car was basically dismantled when I bought it, I only have a rough idea of how the top was installed. I have been to a couple of shows during the summer, but no one ever has their top up for me to look at. Does anyone have detailed instructions on soft top installation with pictures? Did the original top have steel or nylon snaps? Is this something a novice can do? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Kevin

ichthos
03-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry, I forgot to say that I have a 69 TR6.
Thanks.

gjh2007
03-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Here's a couple of links:
good luck!

https://www.vtr.org/maintain/tr6-top.shtml

I can e-amil some other docs I saved from the web over the years.

RonMacPherson
03-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Also, Moss motors in their motoring magazine that they send out to subscribers had a good article a year or two ago. Might see if they have a website url for it.

DNK
03-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Hey Kevin. Drive that puppy over here and look at mine.
I'll have to chase the spiders out and off it.

gjh2007
03-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Ah Hah; I found it. Page 25!

https://www.britishmotoring.net/Archives/2005_Summer.pdf

ichthos
03-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the article Gary. I am downloading it now to read. Don, it would be great to see your TR6 as soon as it stops raining. Maybe I can drop by in June if you're not busy. I need to see a lot of detail in how the seals were installed too. Does anyone know if the original snaps were the plastic type?
Kevin

DNK
03-08-2008, 12:15 AM
You had better have that top fixed before June

SeaSix
03-08-2008, 04:42 AM
Anyone up here in the Pacific NW willing to put on a clinic???
I've got a new top sitting in the box waiting to go on, and am tormenting myself over whether I should do it, or take it to a shop.
Other limiting factors; no garage.
Brett

03-08-2008, 05:29 AM
Before anyone attempts to install a new soft top, tonneau, or top cover, may I suggest you Google <span style="font-weight: bold">Press N Snap</span> tool. I have seen them as low as $119 on the net. They are the most unbelievably simple, easy, efficient, exact and perfect snap installer ever. You can install snaps with your odd hand and one eye closed in 5 seconds and never miss. Like me, everything in your house will end up with snaps, including your boxer shorts.
Do I make my point?

Also, never use any kind of snap unless it is a <span style="font-weight: bold">Dot</span>. All plated brass or stainless, available in extra long and extra hold. Snaps from your local hobby shop will rust in a heartbeat.

DNK
03-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I have a decent size garage w/heat. I'm always up for stuff like that.Mark (Norton) also has a heated garage.

Brosky
03-08-2008, 09:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Anyone up here in the Pacific NW willing to put on a clinic???[/QUOTE]

Only one piece of advice from the East Coast. Keep the new top warm and toasty for several days before you start the installation.

And definitely take Don up on the offer of a heated garage.

Rickc
03-09-2008, 09:15 AM
TR6 BILL,
I am glad to see there is an alternative very high quality tool to attach (crimp) the fasteners to soft tops.
When I installed my brand new soft top I had no problems. This is definitely something an average joe can do. By no stretch of the imagination am I an upholsterer but I did my entire interior kit, seats, and soft top my myself. Not bragging, just saying it is not that difficult.
I strongly agree with Brosky and to add to his point that I would even wait till the summer and use the heat of the sun to "stretch" the top. The top MUST be heated so it will stretch.
OK to my real point....I used an alternative to the snap tool as mentioned above. Here is both at a typical marine supply outlet.
https://www.fabricsandvinyls.com/products/accessories/index.htm
Look down the page to "Vise Plier Attachments". This is what I used. you need to get both the male and female kits. So for only $25 and the purchase of a flat blade (meaning not curved) vise grip tool you have it all. Since we are not in the upholstery business this tool will do. The big point of both tools mentioned is that the snaps can be put on the top cover, tonneau cover, and the softop cover right at the car and not at the work bench. Beleive me, this is a real time saver not having to take the top on and off for each snap.
Rickc

NutmegCT
03-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Kind of a backward question, especially as I've never had to fit a TR6 top.

If you fit the top in the heat, won't that make it really tough (impossible?) to put up in the cooler months?

Seems it might even cause a rip unless you're putting it up in a toasty warm garage.

Thanks.
Tom

Brosky
03-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Tom,

It's a Catch 22. It can't be too loose or too tight, but doing it with a cold, shrunken top is nearly impossible.

Good example. Put you top down in the summer and leave it down until December when it's in the low thirties in the garage. Then try to put it up and fasten the snaps.

However, if you did have a top that fit or installed nicely when very cold, it would fit like an old pair of socks when it was warm again.