PDA

View Full Version : electric fuel pump....rear or engine compartment

bluemiata90
03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I have a 1980 TR8 carburated and my in-tank fuel pump has gone out. I've decided to install a universal electric fuel pump and have a question. Are there any opinions on if I should mount it in the rear of the vehicle by the gas tank and push the fuel to the engine compartment or should I mount it in the engine compartment and pull the fuel forward to the engine. I checked both locations and power at both locations will not be a problem. Mounting it in the engine compartment might be a little easier then by the tank, but both locations are do-able. Any opinions on which location I should use.

swift6
03-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Assuming this is a carbed TR8 and not a FI model. Why not replace it with another in-tank pump? It's really quite an easy job when the fuel level is low enough. Don't be put off by the big three not carrying a carbed pump. Ted and Woody have them available. Or you can check out this list (below) of crossover pumps that you can pick up at your local over the counter. Probably for less than one of the universals too. The filter sock is usually separate but its usually only a couple of bucks as well.

TR8 carbed fuel pump alternatives (https://wedgeparts.com/carbpump.html)

bluemiata90
03-05-2008, 07:48 PM
I changed the post and added that it is carburated. Thanks for the information on the alternatives, I might consider that as an option, but I still think I might add the electric outside pump.

Bob Claffie
03-05-2008, 09:52 PM
The "Facet" cube pump recommends that they push. I have used them both ways with no issues. Important to get the right height in relationship to the tank. Bob

mailbox
03-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I think you will do better to have it in the rear and "push" the fuel. This helps prevent vapor lock. It "aint gonna hurt". <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif

vivdownunder
03-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Scott, I have a 3A with a silent rotary electric pump down the back in a safe spot in the axle well. It gets gravity feed from the tank, with an inline filter between the tank and the pump to keep it clean.

Same principle applies if you have SU's or Strombergs on the 8. Factories mounted them down the back bacause they push fuel better than sucking it.

Just check from the range of electric pumps that you select one with the right (low) pressure feed.

I have run easily in 106F temperature with no vapour lock.

Regards,

Viv.

DNK
03-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Blumiata- I have a nice outside fuel pump on mine and I'll send you a photo if i can have the seats out of your Mazda. :devilgrin:

TR3driver
03-06-2008, 01:06 AM
The "Facet" cube pump recommends that they push. I have used them both ways with no issues.:iagree: I've even mounted one well above the floor of the tank, on the inner fender under the hood; worked fine.