PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin about going back to dual carbs...

LastDeadLast
03-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Well.. I must be getting strange in my old age. I'm thinking about taking off my Goodparts triple carb manifold and returning to a dual setup. I'm starting to yearn for a more simple setup... Don't get me wrong, the tripps are great for bling and as fast as all get out, but I'm constantly tweaking and fiddling with them and a little tired of it. I'm thinking going to HS6's or just rebuilding my old carbs... still thinking of my direction on that.

Somebody talk me out of it please. :crazyeyes:

Do others with highly modded cars ever feel the same way?

03-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Get fuel injection.
No fiddling after the initial setup...
:devilgrin:

LastDeadLast
03-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Alan,

I've thought deeply about that. If I did go FI, I'd want to do it that way you did.. waaay too much money for me right now.

Good idea though...

03-04-2008, 09:02 PM
It's actually not that bad if you can weld.
Or better yet wait until the end of the year - I might be selling off a megasquirt cheap...

LastDeadLast
03-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Sell me your entire setup and we'll talk. :yesnod:

Brosky
03-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Shannon,

After Jeff Palya rebuilt them, I never had to do much to mine, but after I got the A/F ratio meter and set them, I haven't touched them at all.

I know that I'll be tweaking again with the new engine, especially as things loosen up during the break-in, but I really don't expect to do much with mine after that.

I can't go back, I just can't, I can't........I love the pedal to the metal sound of those three carbs sucking up air (and gas!!). Hey' it's my hobby!

But I do have everything in a box in my garage in case I ever do get a little nostalgic....

LastDeadLast
03-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Paul,

I'm not planning to go backwards.. maybe just a strategic retreat for now. I'm just rethinking the triple carb angle.

I'm thinking that I can get just as good power from two carbs.

Brosky
03-04-2008, 10:12 PM
You probably can get close.

Bling factor is 9.75 out of 10 though.

2wrench
03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Alan: If you're thinking of selling that FI only,
I'm a serious candidate. Been salivating at the idea
for a while. Just let me know...and hopefully not
all too soon, as I'm still just gettng the car back
together.

03-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm just thinking about selling the Megasquirt part. Then only when I have a working alternative. Since I want to drive the wheels off the car this summer, it won't be until the winter. The rest of the FI setup is staying on the vehicle - it'll just have a few more goodies added to it.

Shannon, istr reading that twin carbs are good for 140hp. If you are over that, then keep the triples. If not then why not - you can always go back.

I'd try dynoing before and after personally - that way you'll know the ~real~ difference.

LastDeadLast
03-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Shannon, istr reading that twin carbs are good for 140hp. If you are over that, then keep the triples.

Not if I go with twin HD8's :laugh:

I'd try dynoing before and after personally - that way you'll know the ~real~ difference.

I've thought about that.

swift6
03-05-2008, 11:50 AM
I've thought about it before but am not ready to quite yet. As Paul stated, the bling factor is about 9.75 out of 10. I've thought about doing the HD8's too but don't feel like paying that much for similar performance and less bling. Those carbs can be more difficult to source and/or more expensive to rebuild. Plus you'll return to some of the inefficiencies of the stock manifold.

I'm looking to fuel inject eventually as well. But I'll probably keep the triples until I do.

03-05-2008, 12:54 PM
You guys are scaring me.

Actually, bling is good. I was thinking about puttin some of those purple neon lights under my rockers.....

03-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I used to have one of those old Plymouth Dusters with the Chrysler slant six in it. Had a giant cast aluminum one carb intake manifold that kinda looked like a menorah but with six tubes. That thing ran like a cat. Wonder if something like that would work with a huge Holley.

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/billkaram/slant.jpg

TR4nut
03-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Hey Bill- That brings back memories. First car, 68 Dodge Dart rust bucket, slant 6 (198 ci or less if I remember, not the killer 225ci I wanted). Drove like a tank, literally.

Randy

rotoflex
03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
No useful comparison can be made to anything if it involves the Chrysler slant six. That thing is supernatural.

And it will not die. Every now & then you'll still see an old Plymouth Valiant or Dodge Dart rustmobile on the road that looks like some high school algerbra teacher has been driving it every day. A guy was saying how he and a friend demolition derby'd old cars in the junkyard where he worked, with no oil & water, & all the others of course died after not too long, but a Plymouth Valiant with the slant six just would not ever stop. They ultimately just crushed it, he says because it wasn't normal & it bothered them.

trrdster2000
03-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Funny what people have done over the years in CARB department on these cars. I just ran across a set of HIF 1.75's on a manifold in the trunk of one of the junkers I bought. Never even seen a set of 1.75 HIF's. What next.

Wayne

03-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Actually, bling is good. I was thinking about puttin some of those purple neon lights under my rockers.....

No - round the windblocker :laugh:
And two on your washer nozzles.

03-05-2008, 06:50 PM
No useful comparison can be made to anything if it involves the Chrysler slant six. That thing is supernatural.

And it will not die. Every now & then you'll still see an old Plymouth Valiant or Dodge Dart rustmobile on the road that looks like some high school algerbra teacher has been driving it every day. A guy was saying how he and a friend demolition derby'd old cars in the junkyard where he worked, with no oil & water, & all the others of course died after not too long, but a Plymouth Valiant with the slant six just would not ever stop. They ultimately just crushed it, he says because it wasn't normal & it bothered them.

Good description. I ran the wee-wee out of mine.

Is there any way the manifold (or something similar) from the /6 would fit the TR6 head? Talk about easy to tune!

Brosky
03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Didn't they make one with a 4-bbl carb, hotter cam and 4-speed in the Dart or Swinger line, around 67 or 68? It was a "Power Pack" option?

poolboy
03-05-2008, 08:10 PM
[quote=TR6BILL

Is there any way the manifold (or something similar) from the /6 would fit the TR6 head? Talk about easy to tune! [/quote].

I was looking at the picture of the manifold for the Moss TR6 supercharger and it has a big ol space open on the side.
I bet somebody could make an adaptor plate for a 4 barrel.

trboost
03-05-2008, 09:22 PM
I'm prety sure a modified pair of 175's will flow enough air/fuel for slightly over 170hp as stated in the Kastner competition manual. They drill & install SU needles for tuning & enriching. This is on a full race engine creating HP at sustained high rev's. Properly done they should handle a street modified motor easily.

I definitly agree with the bling factor but from a technical stand point, the originals will probably work well. The Goodparts trips , once set should not go out of tune any more than the duals.

Brosky
03-05-2008, 09:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The Goodparts trips , once set should not go out of tune any more than the duals.[/QUOTE]

That is 100% correct.

vivdownunder
03-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Memories. Chrysler down here built a gadget called a Valiant Charger R/T, which were a bit of fun between TR's. Slant six 225ci with triple Webers and extractors, and she blew even the hottest Mustangs right into the weeds. Straight line work only though,'cos it lurched around corners like a drunken sailor.

Shannon, hang on to those lovely triples.....just put half a turn on all the linkages !.

Viv.

Brosky
03-05-2008, 10:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Shannon, hang on to those lovely triples.....[/QUOTE]

My thoughts, exactly!!