PDA

View Full Version : Stock engine color or what?

2wrench
03-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Okay. I'm at the crossroads of picking the engine
color. I suppose the original engine color for a '74
TR6 is likely satin black...yes?....No?

Anyway flat black, satin black, either one doesn't flip
my trigger, except to say it's original.

I thought I'd just keep it simple and paint the sucker
with POR 15 Black. Only thing is that it is a glossy
black finish. I think I'd like it cause it is shiny and
would look clean when washed (I think).

Whatdoyathink? If I go high shine on the engine block,
do you think I'll be sorry? I think it looks cool to have
the head a dfferent color than the block....real cool like
Paul Rego's red or something.

I was thinking shiny black block and a silver head.
(My car is Carmine Red and that would look bad with an
engine red, in my view.)

Or, will I be sorry because later I want original and then
the cost to repaint is awful?

Help me, please, Forum.

:winner1:

Tinster
03-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Hey D!

I went with matt black because a shiny surface
is more difficult to trace the origin of oil leaks.
The matt surface shows up oil and water very well.
Paul's colored red head is awesome!!

My vote- matt black

d

2wrench
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey D!

I went with matt black because a shiny surface
is more difficult to trace the origin of oil leaks.
The matt surface shows up oil and water very well.
Paul's colored red head is awesome!!

My vote- matt black

d

Thanks, Tinster. So is matt black, like, satin finish?
Is that the stock color? Somebody will probably tell
us.

PeterK
03-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I always liked machinery gray. Nice epoxy-like finish that cleans easily and shows leaks and cracks.

There is a light and dark shade of gray; both look equally nice. I feel dark is a little classier looking while light more racey.

Tinster
03-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Excellent choice PeterK!!

But I wish I'd thunk of it when I stripped my block (in place)
and painted it matt black.

Wow- grey would look awesome indeed.
You sure you ain't right brained?

d

PeterK
03-03-2008, 09:30 PM
My new 4A engine is semi-glossy black. :blush:

Brosky
03-03-2008, 09:44 PM
My new engine will be red to match the head. Even the newly rebuilt damper is red with white timing marks.

For added bling, I have the timing cover and valve cover being chrome plated. I'm also adding the Wizard Cooling Aluminum radiator.

Sorry Dale. You know that I love your color selections and I did the frame parts in grey, but to me, a hot new engine has to be RED!!!

JMHO - and only that!

Brosky
03-03-2008, 09:48 PM
2W,

I just realized that you said your body paint is red and I take that to mean the your engine compartment is the same. I agree with you about the RED/RED theme. I thought that you had painted your engine compartment black some time ago.

My mistake --- Oops!!!

With red fender wells black and silver or all silver would look nice. OK, Dale, I'm almost at the grey.

2wrench
03-03-2008, 10:31 PM
First I was thinking about black with silver head.

Now I'm kinda thinking about going silver engine with
a black head.

I guess nobody has said anything about what the
actual stock color is. Sounds boring, I suppose.

Kinda beginning to lean to silver with black head,
maybe. Whadoyathink?

sail
03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
on a red car the silver w/ black would be hot....assuming its clean. i thought if i do it would be green with the black car, but dark gray, hummm.

eejay56
03-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Here is the original paint on a Spit the Dolomite engine in my other Spit is the same. https://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w73/eejay56/79spit017.jpg

DougF
03-04-2008, 10:08 AM
I would stay away from POR15 on the engine. Unless you get a hi-temp, I don't think it will take the heat.
Also, if you decide to repaint at some point, you will have a real task at hand. Scuffing POR 15 is hard enough on a smooth surface let alone a rough casted iron surface.

kodanja
03-04-2008, 10:20 AM
I went with greasy rust !....lol

actually its satin black... :thumbsup:

https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k270/KODANJA7/a12.jpg

DNK
03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Black transfers heat better.

SpitBang
03-04-2008, 11:56 AM
I wanted to make sure I did not loose my engine, so I went for this charming yellow

https://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii315/cmt_master/block.jpg

https://www.tssc.org.uk/images/fbfiles/images/PIC_0897.jpg

Darrell_Walker
03-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I went for aluminum, with some BRG.

Brosky
03-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Now, those two engines look really good!!

How about a silver block with red head?

kodanja
03-04-2008, 07:58 PM
pink with purple poke a dots :crazyeyes:

Darell is that aluminum paint? (very nice")

2wrench
03-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks, Darrell. I think I like it. Silver/aluminum
and black detail wherever.

Darrell_Walker
03-04-2008, 11:29 PM
Darell is that aluminum paint? (very nice")

Yes, it makes the block lighter :-)

skucera
03-04-2008, 11:35 PM
My Spitfire's block, head, and valve cover are all light blue. It looks like the old Chrysler/Dodge small block V-8 blue, like some previous owner rebuilt it and had the Chrysler paint lying around. The picture of the other Spitfire block the same color was a real surprise, so now I wonder if my engine is still painted the OEM color.

My old Midget 1500 had a black engine with a metallic copper valve cover. It looked sharp enough that when I rebuilt the 1147 engine in my Mk. 1 Spitfire I painted its engine the same way. When I got that Spitfire, its engine had been rattle-canned Chevy red, exhaust manifold and all.

Scott

eejay56
03-10-2008, 09:36 AM
What kind of paint is everyone using on their block and head? Temps should not be so high as to need High-Temp stuff correct? I'm already spending a fortune on parts/machine shop and would like to go with the least expensive paint that will last.

Opa
03-10-2008, 10:01 AM
I went with black on black (tremclad) and then a few shiny bits and a little color here and there....what car you working on?

eejay56
03-10-2008, 10:15 AM
My red 78 Spit started making very scary noises on the freeway Sunday before last so I decided to do a transplant from my 79 parts car. That engine is out and at the machine shop and now I'm fixing to pull the engine from the 78 and get the engine bay cleaned up. I think I'm going to go stock blue for the block and light grey for the head with black for the waterpump housing and intake manifold.

martx-5
03-10-2008, 10:58 AM
What kind of paint is everyone using on their block and head? Temps should not be so high as to need High-Temp stuff correct? I'm already spending a fortune on parts/machine shop and would like to go with the least expensive paint that will last.

I just used Rust-O-Leum. It says it's good to 250 deg. If temps get that high, I've got bigger problems then worrying about the paint blistering. :eeek:

DNK
03-10-2008, 11:08 AM
As Art says you can use any paint, Just go over it with a hi temp clear. That way you have more choice to choose from

PeterK
03-10-2008, 12:53 PM
I use Plasti-Cote engine enamel from my local auto parts store. High solids content so it covers well, smooths out nicely.

The trick to a long lasting finish is to get the surface clean and completely oil free.

eejay56
03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
The trick to a long lasting finish is to get the surface clean and completely oil free.
Clean shouldn't be an issue since they are hot-tanking it at the machine shop.

PeterK
03-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Good to go.