PDA

View Full Version : "Stormy Monday Blues"....

03-03-2008, 06:04 PM
For those of you out there with the dual, competition valve springs on your TR6 head, what vendor did you buy them from. I am having a serious problems trying to get the proper spring pressure. I had the Good Parts high performance set but I now have the head at a machine shop and he cannot seem to get the springs to measure up to the recommended spring pressure. The springs only have about 6000+ miles on them. Got a set in from TSI-Automotive and same thing. My machinist, who is not familiar with the TR6 head but has done thousands upon thousands of muscle car and diesel heads, is perplexed. How much shimming can these things safely take? And what spring pressure do you recommend. The vendors are saying 70-90 lbs. at valve closed.

And, the cam that was supposed to take a week, is pressing 3 and no idea how much longer.

And, the magic moly grease tube (.5 oz size) I got from ARP cost me $1.69. The shipping, slow boat to China, was $9.79! Gimme a break.

Then, to top it all off, Damper Dudes called and said that the flange on my damper was chipped in transit, again UPS! They can braze it but wanted me to know. They felt badly. Unlike the other vendors I have been dealing with lately.

I hate Mondays.....

03-03-2008, 06:07 PM
And then, a little 5-year-old bit my finger. Little monster.

tomshobby
03-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Bill, you are really making me nervous here! I have the same springs, cam, and lifters from Goodparts. My springs were tested before they were installed. They all tested great, in fact I wondered if they might have been a little strong. Now I wonder if they were possibly not made of good material and might become weak like yours. After the few miles you have driven with them and the many parts you purchased I was very dismayed that a box did not simply show up at your door with new replacements.

TR3driver
03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
How much shimming can these things safely take?Limit would be "coil bind", ie the coils start touching each other at max valve lift.

Have you asked Ted about it ? 70# seated doesn't sound like much (factory spec for a TR3 is 71 intake, 85 exhaust) so I wouldn't expect you to need more shims than the factory used. Speaking of which, is the shop using the factory shims (aka collars or pedestals) ? Moss catalog shows a collar under each spring, and another on top of the intake springs for a TR6.

2wrench
03-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Bill: I got a real good feeling from Greg, the owner
of British Parts Northwest. He built these engines
for years before selling parts for a living.

He really sounded very knowlageable. Because
there were so many variables out there, after talking
to him, I just finally asked him to suit me up with
what he knows has worked for him for years.

You might try giving him a call. I think he'd be
willing to discuss your concerns and share his thoughts.

Sorry you're having it so hard today. Shoulda slapped
the little bugger that bit ya. Opps. That your
grandson??

Oh, I get it. In the chair, in the chair.
Rany Days & Mondays Always Gets Me Down

Cheer up, there Bill, it will get better, I'm sure.

bobh
03-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Bill,
Are you gong to have your header recoated while the head is off?

03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
In a word, no.

RonMacPherson
03-04-2008, 12:34 PM
I got mine from British Frame and Engine. but that was over a decade ago.