PDA

View Full Version : Re-chroming valve cover badge

newmexTR3
02-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Hey guys,

I have an original cast aluminum valve cover for my 3A. It has a really nice badge (for lack of a better word) that is riveted to it with inlayed enamel (cloisonné, I believe). However, the chrome has worn away, revealing the brass underneath. Is there a way to re-chrome it?

I guess I would have to drill out the original rivets, but from there I'm not sure if you can just get it dipped or if I would have to do something else.

Here is a pic:
https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2160/2283924193_6629014111.jpg

Cheers!
Gavin

Twosheds
02-22-2008, 05:02 PM
This came up on the Triumph List fairly recently. (Are we allowed to mention the Triumph List on this Forum?) I think Darrell Floyd brought it up. I pointed out that Tom Householder had reproduced some several years ago. I thought that they were cloisonné too, but Tom replied that they were enamelled, but not cloisonné. I don't know what the difference is.

Anyway, I don't think there was ever any chrome on them, just enamel. The enamel is coming off mine also.

Maybe a place that makes grille badges could redo the enamel?

I don't know if Darrell ever resolved the problem.

TR3driver
02-22-2008, 07:06 PM
but Tom replied that they were enamelled, but not cloisonné. I don't know what the difference is. As I understand it, the term "enamel" is used to apply to many different processes, including just glossy paint. However, "cloisonné" refers to a specific enamelling process, done with powdered glass and metal wire dividers to hold the different colors separate while the glass is fired (melted). Then the surface is ground and polished to a glossy finish.

Andrew Mace
02-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Seems a shame to risk further damage to the badge in trying to remove it. What about something like Bare-Metal Foil (https://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html) as used on scale models? I don't know how durable it might be, but it's cheap enough you could just "renew" it every so often.

TRrat
02-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Gavin ~

My .02 cents on your question. That's a beautiful, rare vintage piece (I've only ever seen one locally - been searching for a long time for one and the owner didn't want to part with it [he also had a original alloy oil pan too..sigh ...] but I can't complain, I have a Offenhauser cover on my '3A and I can't complain /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazyeyes.gif ) and it has a well earned patina of age on it. Leave it as is, and take care of it. I envy you (and everyone else who has one)

Dave

newmexTR3
02-23-2008, 06:48 PM
I like your point Dave. It would probably do more harm than good to disassemble it, and I guess it really doesn't look bad. Thanks.

btw, I have the matching oil pan too! I didn't realize the set was so rare.

Andy, thanks for pointing out the bare metal foil, looks pretty cool.