PDA

View Full Version : Doin little bits for my resto..

Banjo
02-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Well, it's still slow at work, so I threw the steering column for the TR2 in the Bimmer, took it into work and tinkered with it in my down time today.
First off, took it all apart and inspected it. Bearings good, sector shaft bushings good, wear on the worm and pin minimal.. all in all looked good after washing all the guk outta the box.
biggest thing was that the "column"(this is the one piece long column) was bent right at the box, due to an accident years ago. And having it that way was putting lots of pressure on the bearings. the whole thing turned a little hard.
So with a body hammer, a torch, and some patients I was able to straighten the tube out and get it lined up.
Cleaned and lubed all the parts, reassembled and the thing is beautiful. Turns smooth and light, no slop, or binding. AWSOME!!
Now I just gotta order all the gaskets, seals, and bushings, sand and paint it and TA-DA. Another sub assembly done.
Well. At least it's progress. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

martx-5
02-21-2008, 07:03 PM
That is progress. Anything that you can do each week, no matter how small you may think it is will eventually result in a finished restoration. The work all has to be done sometime, so little bites here and there will get the job done. That's the way I've been handling it. I'm in my third year, but the light is at the end of the tunnel. All of my sub-assemblies are now done, and the next few months will just be a matter of putting all of the pieces together...Well, now that I think of it, there are a couple of other things to be attended to. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Just keep doing something every week. It will all come together.

Tinster
02-21-2008, 08:18 PM
<span style="color: #FF0000">Powder coat</span>- <span style="color: #FFCC66">powder coat</span>- <span style="color: #FF0000">powder coat </span>!!

Red and Yellow !!

d /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Brosky
02-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Heeeeeeere's Tinster!!!!

Where have you been, lad?

Banjo
02-21-2008, 08:39 PM
<span style="color: #FF0000">Powder coat</span>- <span style="color: #FFCC66">powder coat</span>- <span style="color: #FF0000">powder coat </span>!!

Red and Yellow !!

d /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif
Ahhhh.. lesse, what's the worrrrd I'm looking for?......
Oh yea. <span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style="color: #FF0000">N</span><span style="color: #FFCC00">O</span>!</span>
Bwahahahaha. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

P.S. That steering column is 5 feet long. Let's see ya fit that in yer little oven! hehehehehehe

2wrench
02-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Sounds good, there, Banj. Keep on keeping on.